Equation or semi-axes of the ellipse

• Thread starter arkkis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of calculating the equation or semi-axes of an ellipse given two points on its arc, with known y-coordinates and the difference of x-coordinates. It was concluded that two points are too few to determine the ellipse, but it is possible to calculate the semi-axes if the ellipse is centered at the origin and the major/minor axes are parallel to the x/y axes. However, four points are needed to define an ellipse if the center is unknown. The equation of the ellipse is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1 and the semi-axes are a and b.
arkkis
I have been struggling for a while now with this one.

Lets say I have two points on the arc of the ellipse. I know the y-coordinates and the difference of the x-coordinates. Is it possible two calculate the equation or the semiaxes of the ellipse where these points are located?

These are the information I can obtain. Actually the exact equation of the ellipse is not relevant. I should be able to calculate the ratio of the semi-axes.

EDIT: The ellipse is origo centered and the axes are parallel to x/y axes.

- - - -
Ellipse as a function of x:

x=sqrt[(a^2*b^2-a^2*y^2)/(b^2)]

So the difference of x-coordinates ie. deltax

deltax= x2-x1 =sqrt[(a^2*b^2-a^2*y2^2)/(b^2)] - sqrt[(a^2*b^2-a^2*y1^2)/(b^2)]

I guess somwhow I sould be able to eliminate a or b.
- - -
I also tried in a way where I know also the x-coordinates by solving a equation pair where i end up with:

a^4*(y2^2-y1^2)+a^2*(x2^2*y1^2-y2^2*x1^2)=0

I can't get it solved when just the x2-x1 is known.
- - -
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two points are too few to determine much of anything about an ellipse.

mathman said:
Two points are too few to determine much of anything about an ellipse.

But if I have two points ie (1;4,71) and (2:3,73)

If I put these to the formula which is obtained from pair equation of an ellipse (x1;y1 and x2;y2):

(x1^2)/(a^2)+(y1^2)/(b^2)=1
(x2^2)/(a^2)+(y2^2)/(b^2)=1

Calculate b^2 and put to the latter:

a^4*(y2^2-y1^2)+a^2*(x2^2*y1^2-y2^2*x1^2)=0

a^2*[a^2*(y2^2-y1^2)+(x2^2*y1^2-y2^2*x1^2)]=0

a^2=2 OR a^2*(y2^2-y1^2)+(x2^2*y1^2-y2^2*x1^2)=0

The latter

a^2=[(y2^2*x1^2)-(y1^2*x2^2)]/(y2^2-y1^2)

a^2=[(3,73^2*1^2)-(4,71^2*2^2)]/(3,73^2-4,71^2)

a^2=9,0463 --> a=-3,01 or 3,01

Hence:
b^2=(a^2*y1^2)/(a^2-x1^2) = b^2=24,943
b = -4,99 or 4,99

Am I making a major flaw?

You are making an assumption that the ellipse is centered at the point (0,0) and the major / minor axes are not at angles to the x / y axes. If that's true, what you have done is valid. If the center is unknown, it takes 4 points to define an ellipse (assumming no axis angle), just as it takes 3 points to define a circle.

Yes. The ellipse is origo centered and the axes are parallel to x/y axes. In addition i know the y-coordinates of two points and difference of the x-coordinates. That should be it.

Is it possible to define the semi-axes?

arkkis said:
Yes. The ellipse is origo centered and the axes are parallel to x/y axes. In addition i know the y-coordinates of two points and difference of the x-coordinates. That should be it.

Is it possible to define the semi-axes?

The equation of the ellipse you are looking for is (x/a)2 + (y/b)2 = 1.
The semi-axes are a and b.

You can set up two equations in terms of (x1,y1) and (x2,y2). You are given x2-x1, y1, y2.
This gives you two equations in three unknowns a, b, x1. Can't be solved.

Related to Equation or semi-axes of the ellipse

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of geometrical shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane where the sum of the distances from two fixed points (known as the foci) is constant.

What is the equation of an ellipse?

The equation of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) represents the center of the ellipse, a is the length of the semi-major axis, and b is the length of the semi-minor axis.

How do you find the semi-axes of an ellipse?

The semi-major axis is the longer radius of an ellipse, while the semi-minor axis is the shorter radius. To find these values, you can use the equation a^2 = b^2 + c^2, where c is the distance from the center of the ellipse to one of the foci. Alternatively, you can also use the length of the major and minor axes to calculate the semi-axes.

What is the relationship between an ellipse and a circle?

An ellipse can be thought of as a stretched or flattened circle. In fact, a circle is a special case of an ellipse where both semi-axes are equal in length.

How is the eccentricity of an ellipse related to its semi-axes?

The eccentricity of an ellipse is defined as the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the semi-major axis. It is also equal to the square root of 1 - (b^2/a^2), where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.