Equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top

• Thread starter James_Frogan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to derive the equations of motion for a spinning top with sliding/rolling friction. The system has six degrees of freedom and the individual is considering using Lagrange's equations, but is uncertain if it is possible. Other options such as Routhian reduction are also mentioned. The individual is seeking guidance and assistance with the problem.
James_Frogan

Homework Statement

I am attempting to derive the equations of motion for a sliding/rolling (either case or both cases) symmetric spinning top that rises under the influence of sliding/rolling friction. This is a 6 degree of freedom system with the 3 Euler angles and 3 xyz directions (although the tip of the top is constrained to contact with the surface).

I hope to use Lagrange's equations, but haven't found any journal article/paper showing that this is possible. Am I headed down a dead end?

Homework Equations

Lagrangian mechanics
Sliding/Rolling friction
There are several alternatives, Routhian reduction, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivation for the fixed tip case is fairly simple, I'm wondering if it can be extended to 6DOF case.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if Lagrange's equations would be suitable for this problem. Routhian reduction could be a possible approach, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Related to Equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top

What is a symmetric top?

A symmetric top is a rigid body that can rotate around a fixed axis. It has three principal moments of inertia, which determine its rotational behavior. Examples of symmetric tops include a spinning top or a spinning wheel.

What are the equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top?

The equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top are the Euler equations of motion, which describe the rotational motion of a rigid body around a fixed point. These equations take into account the body's mass, moments of inertia, and external forces and torques acting on the body.

What is the difference between sliding and rolling motion for a symmetric top?

Sliding motion refers to the translation of the center of mass of the symmetric top, while rolling motion refers to the rotation around its axis. In sliding motion, the kinetic energy is mainly due to the translational motion, while in rolling motion, the kinetic energy is mainly due to the rotational motion.

How are the equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top derived?

The equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top are derived from the principle of conservation of angular momentum and the Newton's second law of motion. By considering the forces and torques acting on the body, we can derive the equations that govern its rotational motion.

What are the applications of equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top?

The equations for sliding/rolling symmetric top are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. They are particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of spinning objects, gyroscopes, and vehicles with rotating wheels. They also have applications in space exploration, where the rotation of spacecraft and satellites is crucial for their stability and control.