1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of linear motion in terms of films

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been asked to investigate whether Hollywood is scientifically accurate. I decided to use a clip from speed where the bus jumps that hole in the road. I have worked out the speed in m/s from the dial on the bus (67mph = 28.87m/s) and the distance from what the guy says (50 feet which i worked out to be 16.66M) and ive estimated the angle at 45 degrees.

2. Relevant equations
    I think the equations of linear motion are neccisary

3. The attempt at a solution

This is where i need help. As this is my own designed task, of which everyones will be different: i am a bit unsure about where to go next.....I know that i want to prove whether it is accurate or not but how....maybe someone could help :D. I would prefer if you didnt answer this just started it off so i knew where i was heading...ty :D

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have how far away the landing ramp is. Could you estimate the height difference between the take off and landing ramp. Also I think 45 degrees is a bit steep, you may want to have another look at that.

Once you're happy with all of the above you will have to work out whether the bus launching at that speed from a ramp of whatever angle will be able to traverse the 50 foot gap in the way you would normally deal with a question of this type.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?