Equations of linear motion in terms of films

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
tonto995566
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have been asked to investigate whether Hollywood is scientifically accurate. I decided to use a clip from speed where the bus jumps that hole in the road. I have worked out the speed in m/s from the dial on the bus (67mph = 28.87m/s) and the distance from what the guy says (50 feet which i worked out to be 16.66M) and I've estimated the angle at 45 degrees.

Homework Equations


I think the equations of linear motion are neccisary


The Attempt at a Solution



This is where i need help. As this is my own designed task, of which everyones will be different: i am a bit unsure about where to go next...I know that i want to prove whether it is accurate or not but how...maybe someone could help :D. I would prefer if you didnt answer this just started it off so i knew where i was heading...ty :D
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have how far away the landing ramp is. Could you estimate the height difference between the take off and landing ramp. Also I think 45 degrees is a bit steep, you may want to have another look at that.

Once you're happy with all of the above you will have to work out whether the bus launching at that speed from a ramp of whatever angle will be able to traverse the 50 foot gap in the way you would normally deal with a question of this type.