Equations of linear motion in terms of films

In summary, the task at hand is to investigate the scientific accuracy of a scene from the movie Speed where a bus jumps over a hole in the road. The necessary information has been gathered, including the speed of the bus, the distance of the jump, and an estimated angle. The next step is to determine whether the jump is physically possible. This can be achieved by estimating the height difference between the take off and landing ramp and re-evaluating the angle of the jump. Once all the necessary calculations are completed, it can be determined whether the jump is scientifically accurate.
tonto995566

Homework Statement

I have been asked to investigate whether Hollywood is scientifically accurate. I decided to use a clip from speed where the bus jumps that hole in the road. I have worked out the speed in m/s from the dial on the bus (67mph = 28.87m/s) and the distance from what the guy says (50 feet which i worked out to be 16.66M) and I've estimated the angle at 45 degrees.

Homework Equations

I think the equations of linear motion are neccisary

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where i need help. As this is my own designed task, of which everyones will be different: i am a bit unsure about where to go next...I know that i want to prove whether it is accurate or not but how...maybe someone could help :D. I would prefer if you didnt answer this just started it off so i knew where i was heading...ty :D

Physics news on Phys.org
You have how far away the landing ramp is. Could you estimate the height difference between the take off and landing ramp. Also I think 45 degrees is a bit steep, you may want to have another look at that.

Once you're happy with all of the above you will have to work out whether the bus launching at that speed from a ramp of whatever angle will be able to traverse the 50 foot gap in the way you would normally deal with a question of this type.

I would approach this investigation by first reviewing the equations of linear motion. These equations, such as velocity = distance/time and acceleration = change in velocity/time, can be used to analyze the motion of the bus in the clip from Speed.

Next, I would gather more data from the clip, such as the time it takes for the bus to reach the other side of the hole and any other relevant information. This data can then be plugged into the equations to calculate the bus's acceleration, velocity, and other parameters.

I would also conduct research on the physics involved in jumping a bus over a hole in the road. This can help determine if the actions portrayed in the movie are scientifically accurate or if they defy the laws of physics.

Additionally, I would compare the calculated values from the equations to the actual footage in the movie. If there are discrepancies, it could indicate that the scene was not accurately portrayed.

In conclusion, by using the equations of linear motion and conducting thorough research, I would be able to provide a scientific analysis of the accuracy of the scene in question.

1. What is an equation of linear motion in terms of films?

An equation of linear motion in terms of films is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration in a film or video. It is often used to analyze the movement of objects in movies or to create realistic animations.

2. What variables are involved in the equation of linear motion in terms of films?

The variables involved in the equation of linear motion in terms of films are position (x), velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t). These variables are interrelated in a specific equation that describes the motion of an object in a film.

3. How is the equation of linear motion in terms of films different from the equation of linear motion in physics?

The equation of linear motion in terms of films is similar to the equation of linear motion in physics, but it takes into account the frame rate or number of frames per second in a film. This is because the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in a film are measured based on the number of frames they appear in, rather than in continuous units of time.

4. Can the equation of linear motion in terms of films be used to predict an object's motion in a film?

Yes, the equation of linear motion in terms of films can be used to predict an object's motion in a film. By plugging in the known values for position, velocity, and acceleration, we can solve for the unknown variable and determine the object's future position or velocity at a specific time in the film.

5. How is the equation of linear motion in terms of films useful in filmmaking?

The equation of linear motion in terms of films is useful in filmmaking as it allows filmmakers to create realistic movements for objects and characters in their films. By understanding and using this equation, filmmakers can accurately depict the motion of objects and create visually appealing and believable scenes.