Equations relating to a loudspeaker?

• Thread starter doomsdaydave1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics project involving creating a speaker set from scrapped hard drives. The speaker can be modeled using a driven damped harmonic oscillator with the driving force being the force on the coil due to the current and magnetic field. The air pressure can be estimated by dividing the force by the membrane's surface area and is important for determining volume. The volume perceived by human ears is proportional to the logarithm of pressure. Diffraction can also be used to justify the size of the loudspeaker, as low frequencies require a large slit for the sound to be localized.
doomsdaydave1
Hi guys, although this is for a class project, this isn't really a traditional homework question, so the mods can move this if they like, though.

I scrapped some hard drives and made a stereo speaker set for a physics project, but now to complete this project I need to relate some equations for it.

Assuming this is the most basic magnet/coil/membrane speaker, what would be a basic (algebra) equation that I could use to determine, say, air pressure? Or some other measurable quantity that results from "turning it up."

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually quite a complicated problem, but let's just see here. The membrane can be modeled using a driven damped harmonic oscillator. The driving force is given by the force on the coil due to the current and magnetic field. The Lorentz force law for conductors should work for that. The air pressure can be estimated by dividing the force by the membrane's surface area. This is the important quantity for volume. I believe the volume perceived by animal (human included) ears is proportional to the logarithm of the pressure, so that an exponential increase in peak pressure is perceived as a linear increase in volume.

That should get you started.

You could also use diffraction to justify the size of the loudspeaker, the reason bass speakers are so large for instance is that for low frequencies single-slit diffraction requires a large slit for the intensity of the sound to be localized in a narrow angle-range.

Related to Equations relating to a loudspeaker?

1. What is the equation for sound pressure level of a loudspeaker?

The equation for sound pressure level (SPL) of a loudspeaker is SPL = 20 log (p/pref), where p is the sound pressure and pref is the reference pressure (usually set at 20 μPa).

2. How do I calculate the power handling capacity of a loudspeaker?

The power handling capacity of a loudspeaker can be calculated using the equation P = (Vrms)2 / R, where P is the power in watts, Vrms is the root mean square (RMS) voltage, and R is the impedance of the loudspeaker in ohms.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of a sound wave produced by a loudspeaker?

The relationship between frequency (f) and wavelength (λ) of a sound wave produced by a loudspeaker is given by the equation c = fλ, where c is the speed of sound in the medium (usually air). This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can the sensitivity of a loudspeaker be calculated using an equation?

Yes, the sensitivity (SPL per watt) of a loudspeaker can be calculated using the equation SPLw = SPLref + 10 log (P/Pref), where SPLw is the sensitivity in decibels (dB) per watt, SPLref is the reference sensitivity (usually set at 1 watt), and P is the input power in watts.

5. How do I determine the resonant frequency of a loudspeaker using an equation?

The resonant frequency (fr) of a loudspeaker can be determined using the equation fr = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance of the voice coil and C is the compliance of the loudspeaker's suspension. These values can be obtained from the manufacturer's specifications or measured experimentally.