Equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars

In summary, the problem involves two collars on a vertical frame, with collar A having a mass of 8 kg and collar B having a mass of 4 kg. The goal is to determine the equilibrium angle and tension in the cable between the collars. Using the equations for forces at each collar, the problem is simplified to two equations. With two different methods, the final equations are obtained as T cos \alpha ( cot 60 + 1 ) = 12g and ( 3/2 ) sin \alpha + ( ( sqrt(3) - 6 ) / 6 ) cos \alpha = 0. After solving these equations, the values for T and \alpha can be found, solving the initial problem
RyanV

Homework Statement

There are two collars hanging on a vertical frame made up of two smooth rods (see attached for figure). If the mass of collar A is 8 kg and the mass of collar B is 4 kg, determine the equilibrium angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] and the tension in the cable between the collars.

Homework Equations

When in equilibrium, [tex]\sum F[/tex] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The forces at Collar A,
x: T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] - Na cos 30 = 0
y: T sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + Na sin 30 - 8g = 0

The forces at Collar B,
x: -T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] + Nb sin 45 = 0
y: - T sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + Nb cos 45 - 4g = 0

where, Na and Nb are forces acting on the beams.

I've simplified the 4 equations to these two equations:

T = 4g / ( cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] - sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] ) ----- (1)

( sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] tan 30 ) = 2 ------- (2)
( cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] - sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] )

After that, I'm stumped. Any help?
Thanks =)

Attachments

• Cable Equilibrium.jpg
    Cable Equilibrium.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 642
Physics news on Phys.org
As the rods are smooth, the reactions at the collars are perpendicular to the rods. Draw these and find their point of intersection. This should lie under the centre of mass of the collars and cable, if the sum of moments is to be satisfied.

I'm not too sure how you would go about finding the sum of the moment at the point of intersection...Is it possible because there are no lengths given to us at all. Only angles.

I've tried it again using the reaction forces (NA/NB) of beam A and B perpendicular to the beams instead of what I did previously using the forces in the beam.

I've obtained these equations as a result:

At collar A,
x: T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] - NA sin 60 = 0
==> NA = T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] / sin 60

y: T sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + NA cos 60 - 8g = 0
==> T sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] cot 60 = 8g ---- (1)

At collar B,
x: -T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] + NB cos 45 = 0
==> NB = T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] / cos 45

y: -T sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + NB sin 45 - 4g = 0
==> -T sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 4g ---- (2)

At this point, I've tried it using two different methods, but I came to a road stop each time. Maybe cause I don't have sufficient trigonometry simplification knowledge/can't see the next step/stuffed up somewhere.

Method1
(1) + (2)
T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] cot 60 + T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 12g
T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] ( cot 60 + 1 ) = 12g
T cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 74.55

Need either T or [tex]\alpha[/tex] to solve so came method two ...

Method2
(1)
T ( sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] cot 60 ) = 8g
T = 8g / ( sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] cot 60 )

Just looking at this equation, substituting it into the equation in method 1 would be ridiculous to solve, so I continued..hoping for something better.

(2)
- sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 4g / T
- sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] = ( 1/2 ) ( sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] cot 60 )
Further simplification gave..
( 3/2 ) sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] + ( ( sqrt(3) - 6 ) / 6 ) cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 0

I'm not sure what to do after this..

I believe this shouldn't be that ridiculously hard to solve...I probably stuffed up somewhere or unknowingly did something that you're not allowed to do..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! =D
Ryan

No worries anymore, I've managed to solve it. =)

1. What is equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars?

Equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars refer to the state in which a cable or wire is under equal tension and is at a stable angle between two points of support, typically collars or pulleys.

2. How is equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars calculated?

The equilibrium angle is calculated using the principles of static equilibrium, which takes into account the weight of the cable and the forces acting on it. The cable tension is then determined by balancing the forces acting on the cable.

3. Why is equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars important?

Equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars are important because they ensure that the cable is under uniform tension, reducing the risk of structural failure or unequal load distribution.

4. What factors can affect equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars?

The weight of the cable, the angle between the collars, and the forces acting on the cable, such as gravity and applied loads, can all affect the equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars.

5. How can equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars be adjusted?

To adjust the equilibrium angle and cable tension between collars, the angle between the collars can be changed, or additional supports or tensioning mechanisms can be added to the cable. It is important to carefully calculate and monitor these adjustments to maintain equilibrium and prevent overloading the cable.