Dynamics: Spring Question Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of a collar attached to a rod and spring system after being displaced by an applied force. The length of the spring and its potential energy are determined using the summation of forces and work calculations, with the movable end of the spring being at 0.3 m when the spring is relaxed.
jdawg

Homework Statement

The collar has a mass of 30 kg and is supported on the rod having a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.4. The attached spring has an unstretched length of 0.2 m and a stiffness of k =50 N/m. Determine the speed of the collar after the applied force F= 200N causes it to be displaced x=1.5 m from point A. When x=0 the collar is held at rest. Neglect the size of the collar in the calculation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already did the summation of forces in the y direction and found the normal force and used that to find the frictional force.

What I'm really confused about is how to know what length to use for the spring. If someone could explain to me why they use certain lengths for certain potential energies it would help me a lot! I also don't understand why they subtracted 0.5 from 0.2 to get the movable end?

Attachments

• 14.7.png
    14.7.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,422
  • 14.7FBD.png
    14.7FBD.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 14.7Sol.png
    14.7Sol.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,473
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says spring length is 0.2 m. That's where the moveable end is (call it ##x_0##) when the spring is relaxed.
Whole sequence starts at 0.5 m (point A); when the moveable end of the spring is at A the spring is already stretched by 0.3 m.

So for the work calculation you start at ##x_i = 0.5##. Spring force is then already ##x_i - x_0##.
And the work calculation ends at ##x_f= 2##.

Likes jdawg
Oh ok! Why do they have their x0=0.3 as negative?

And it looks like they integrated from 0 to 1.5. I guess its the same difference. I feel like what you did makes more sense though. Why did they do 0 to 1.5?

0.5 m from the wall is taken as x = 0.
(I overlooked that, too, sorry). But, as you say, same difference :smile: as long as you indeed correctly write down the differences...

Likes jdawg
Cool, thanks!

Just a reality check: The spring tension during the process is k(x+0.3), and x varies between 0 and 1.5.

1. What is a spring?

A spring is a mechanical component that is typically made of metal and is designed to store and release energy through its ability to deform and return to its original shape.

2. How does a spring work?

A spring works by applying a force to it, causing it to compress or stretch. This force creates potential energy within the spring, which is then released when the force is removed, causing the spring to return to its original shape.

3. What is the relationship between force and displacement in a spring?

The relationship between force and displacement in a spring is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of displacement it undergoes, as long as the material of the spring remains within its elastic limit.

4. How is the stiffness of a spring determined?

The stiffness of a spring is determined by its spring constant, which is a measure of how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain amount. The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the spring.

5. What are some real-world applications of springs?

Springs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including mechanical engineering, automotive industry, aerospace, and even in everyday objects such as pens and mattresses. They are commonly used in shock absorbers, suspension systems, and as energy storage devices in various machines and devices.