How Do You Calculate Tensions in a Suspended Mass System with Different Angles?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the two tensions in a system where a 1100N mass is suspended from a string supported by two poles. The angles of the string on either side are 70 degrees and 80 degrees, and the equations T1sin70-T2sin80=0 and T1cos70+T2cos80-1100=0 are used to determine the tensions. These equations are then solved for a variable and plugged into each other to find the two unknown tensions.
Fusilli_Jerry89
a 1100N mass is suspended from a string which is supported by two poles. One side makes an angle of 70 degrees with the vertical and the other side makes an angle of 80 degrees. Find the two tensions using components.

First I say that T1sin70-T2sin80=0 bcause the x forces have to be equal, otherwise the object would sway. Secondly I saw that T1cos70+T2cos80-1100=0 because the vertical components pushing upwards must equal the weight pulling downwards in order for the system to be in equilibrium. But now I do not know what to do after i get T1cos70+T2cos80=1100.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got 2 equations and 2 unknowns. Solve for a variable in one equation and plug it into the other

I would suggest using the equations you have derived to solve for the two tensions, T1 and T2. You can rearrange the equations to solve for either T1 or T2 and then plug that value into the other equation to solve for the remaining tension. This will give you the values for T1 and T2 in terms of the weight of the object, 1100N.

Once you have solved for T1 and T2, you can plug those values into the original equations to check if they satisfy the conditions for equilibrium. The sum of the forces in the x-direction should be equal to 0, and the sum of the forces in the y-direction should also be equal to 0. If the values you have calculated do not satisfy these conditions, then there may be a mistake in your calculations.

In addition, as a scientist, I would also suggest drawing a free-body diagram of the system to better visualize the forces acting on the object. This can help in understanding the problem and deriving the appropriate equations. It is also important to keep track of the directions of the forces and the corresponding angles, as any mistakes in these can lead to incorrect solutions. Overall, it is important to approach the problem systematically and carefully to ensure accurate results.

1. What is equilibrium by components?

Equilibrium by components is a scientific concept that describes the state of a system in which all of its individual components are balanced and there is no net change in the system over time.

2. How is equilibrium by components achieved?

Equilibrium by components is achieved when the rates of forward and reverse reactions in a chemical system are equal. This can also be achieved by adjusting external factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration.

3. What is the significance of equilibrium by components?

Equilibrium by components is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions. It also allows for the optimization of processes and the development of new products in various industries.

4. What factors can affect equilibrium by components?

Factors that can affect equilibrium by components include changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Catalysts can also have an impact on the equilibrium of a reaction.

5. Can equilibrium by components be disturbed?

Yes, equilibrium by components can be disturbed by changes in external factors, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration. This can cause the system to shift towards the direction of the reaction that will restore equilibrium.