Equilibrium Constant Table Method

In summary, The conversation discusses the molar ratio and how it is used to determine the quantity of reactants needed to produce a certain amount of product. The change in quantity is also explained, as well as the relationship between the quantities of N2 and H2 used to produce NH3. It is also clarified that the total number of atoms cannot change, and that a negative change in NH3 would require initial NH3 for the reaction to reverse.
TheRedDevil18
Hi, I just want someone to explain this table to me please, I am totally confused especially with the Change(mol).
Question below:

2drrole.jpg

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If 1 Mole of NH3 is produced, how many moles of N2 and H2 were used to do that?
Hint: Use the molar ratio.

If you know the initial quantity and the change, you get the quantity at equilibrium.

How?, still a bit confused. Could you show me?

Is "how" related to the quantity at equilibrium?
This is a simple addition. If you start with X moles and produce Y moles, you have X+Y moles.

Is "how" related to the other part?
Just keep in mind that the total number of atoms (both for N and H) cannot change.

I mean the Change, how do they get the change?

To produce 2 molecules of NH3, you need 1 molecule of N2 (to have 2 N atoms).
To produce 1 molecule of NH3, you need 1/2 molecule of N2.
To produce 1 mole of NH3 (this is given), you need 1/2 moles of N2.

It is that easy.

Okay I understand it now, mole ratio N2:NH3 1/2*1=0.5 and H2:NH3 3/2*1=1.5, the signs are negative because they are being used up right?

What would happen if the change is negative for NH3, Would it now mean that NH3 is being reversed back into its reactants and the reactants would be positive?

You would need some initial NH3 for that.
In that case: Right.

Okay I think that's it, Thanks for your help

1. What is the Equilibrium Constant Table Method?

The Equilibrium Constant Table Method is a mathematical technique used to determine the equilibrium constant for a chemical reaction. It involves setting up a table with the initial concentrations of reactants and products, as well as the change in concentration at equilibrium. The equilibrium constant can then be calculated using the concentrations at equilibrium.

2. How is the table set up for the Equilibrium Constant Table Method?

The table is set up with the reactants and products listed on the left side, and the initial concentration, change in concentration, and equilibrium concentration for each species listed in separate columns. The top row of the table should have the labels "Reactant", "Initial Concentration", "Change in Concentration", and "Equilibrium Concentration".

3. What is the purpose of using the Equilibrium Constant Table Method?

The purpose of using this method is to determine the equilibrium constant for a chemical reaction. This constant is a measure of the extent to which a reaction will proceed and can be used to predict the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium.

4. What are the assumptions made when using the Equilibrium Constant Table Method?

The main assumptions made are that the reaction is taking place in a closed system, the reaction is at equilibrium, and the reaction is in a dilute aqueous solution. These assumptions allow for the use of the equilibrium constant expression and the ideal gas law to calculate the equilibrium constant.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Equilibrium Constant Table Method?

Yes, this method is only applicable to reactions that are in equilibrium and that can be described by a simple equilibrium constant expression. It also assumes that the reaction is taking place in a dilute aqueous solution and at a constant temperature. Additionally, this method may not be accurate for reactions with large changes in concentration or when the initial concentrations are significantly different from each other.