1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium from multivariable potential energy

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three masses are disposed in a circular lane and linked with springs (resting lengths Lo). Find the potential energy and, from it, the equilibrium positions. (see image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/evqcspwlj68p5n9/2014-02-05 16.07.07.jpg )

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no problems finding the potential energy, but I'm not sure how to find the equilibrium positions from it. Should I derive respect each coordinate separately and get three expresions that i have to equate with 0? Or do a triple partial derivative [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi_1 \partial \phi_2 \partial \phi_3}[/itex]and the equal that to 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What can you say about the potential energy function at a point of equilibrium?

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    That it is a stationary point. However in this case I have three variables, so I'm not sure if it is enough with equating the derivatives to 0 or if I need to use something more advanced like Lagrange multipliers.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Stationary point is right. So equating each first derivative to 0 should do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted