Equilibrium from multivariable potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential energy and equilibrium positions for three masses linked with springs in a circular lane. The person has no problems finding the potential energy but is unsure about finding the equilibrium positions. Suggestions are given to equate the derivatives to 0 or use Lagrange multipliers. It is concluded that the potential energy function at a point of equilibrium is a stationary point and equating each first derivative to 0 should suffice.
carllacan

Homework Statement

Three masses are disposed in a circular lane and linked with springs (resting lengths Lo). Find the potential energy and, from it, the equilibrium positions. (see image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/evqcspwlj68p5n9/2014-02-05 16.07.07.jpg )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problems finding the potential energy, but I'm not sure how to find the equilibrium positions from it. Should I derive respect each coordinate separately and get three expresions that i have to equate with 0? Or do a triple partial derivative [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi_1 \partial \phi_2 \partial \phi_3}[/itex]and the equal that to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the potential energy function at a point of equilibrium?

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
What can you say about the potential energy function at a point of equilibrium?

That it is a stationary point. However in this case I have three variables, so I'm not sure if it is enough with equating the derivatives to 0 or if I need to use something more advanced like Lagrange multipliers.

Stationary point is right. So equating each first derivative to 0 should do it.

Likes 1 person

Thank you for your question. In order to find the equilibrium positions from the potential energy, you can use the principle of minimum potential energy. This principle states that a system will be in equilibrium when its potential energy is at a minimum. In other words, the system will be in a stable position when the potential energy is at its lowest point.

To find the equilibrium positions in this system, you can use the equations for the potential energy of a spring, which is given by V = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. In this case, you have three springs, so you will have three equations for potential energy, one for each mass.

Next, you can take the derivative of each potential energy equation with respect to the displacement, set them equal to 0, and solve for the equilibrium positions. This will give you three equations, one for each mass, which you can solve simultaneously to find the equilibrium positions.

Alternatively, you can take the triple partial derivative of the potential energy with respect to each coordinate, as you mentioned in your attempt, and set it equal to 0. This will also give you three equations to solve for the equilibrium positions.

I hope this helps you find the equilibrium positions in this system. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is equilibrium in terms of multivariable potential energy?

Equilibrium in multivariable potential energy refers to the state where a system is at rest and has no net force acting on it. This means that the system is in a stable position and will not experience any acceleration or movement unless an external force is applied.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a multivariable potential energy system?

Equilibrium is achieved in a multivariable potential energy system when the forces acting on the system are balanced. This means that the sum of the forces in all directions is equal to zero, resulting in a state of rest.

3. What is the significance of equilibrium in multivariable potential energy?

Equilibrium is significant in multivariable potential energy because it represents the state where the system has the lowest potential energy. This is a stable and balanced state, and any deviation from equilibrium will result in the system moving towards a higher potential energy state.

4. How does the concept of equilibrium apply to real-world systems?

The concept of equilibrium from multivariable potential energy applies to many real-world systems, such as chemical reactions, mechanical systems, and biological systems. In these systems, equilibrium is achieved when there is a balance between opposing forces or reactions, resulting in a stable state.

5. Can equilibrium in a multivariable potential energy system be disrupted?

Yes, equilibrium in a multivariable potential energy system can be disrupted if an external force or change in conditions is applied. This can cause the system to move away from equilibrium and towards a higher potential energy state, resulting in a change in the system's behavior or properties.