Equilibrium of a Particle: Finding the Unstretched Length of a Spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equilibrium in systems and the necessary condition for equilibrium to occur. It also mentions using the equations F=ks, ∑F x=0, and ∑Fy=0 to break down the problem into components for x and y-axis. The speaker expresses difficulty in determining the unstretched length of the spring in the problem. They are also asked to provide more details in their solution.
edwinandrew

Homework Statement

The question are included in the picture that are uploaded. So i know that for these systems to be at equilibrium, the net force in the x and y-axis must equal to zero. I wanted to write in the question and the diagram but i don't know how else to put it.
Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

F=ks, ∑F x=0, ∑Fy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried breaking it down into components for x and y but i don't know what value to use to determine the unstretched length of the spring.[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Type in the problem text please. And read it. What is the question? Show your work in detail.

1. What is meant by "equilibrium of a particle"?

The equilibrium of a particle refers to a state in which the particle is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, with no net force acting on it. This means that the particle's acceleration is zero, and it will remain in this state unless an external force is applied.

2. How is the equilibrium of a particle determined?

The equilibrium of a particle is determined by applying the principles of Newton's laws of motion. According to the first law, an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a net external force. Therefore, if the sum of all forces acting on a particle is zero, it will be in equilibrium.

3. What are the types of equilibrium of a particle?

There are three types of equilibrium for a particle: stable, unstable, and neutral. A particle is in stable equilibrium if it returns to its original position after being slightly displaced. It is in unstable equilibrium if it moves further away from its original position after being slightly displaced. A particle is in neutral equilibrium if it remains at its new position after being slightly displaced.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, the particle is at rest, and all forces acting on it are balanced. In dynamic equilibrium, the particle is moving at a constant velocity, and the sum of all forces acting on it is zero. Both types of equilibrium require the net force and net torque to be equal to zero.

5. How is the equilibrium of a particle affected by external forces?

The equilibrium of a particle can be affected by external forces in two ways. If an external force is applied to a particle at rest, it will cause the particle to move and no longer be in equilibrium. If an external force is applied to a particle in dynamic equilibrium, it will change the particle's velocity, but it will still remain in equilibrium as long as the net force and net torque are zero.