Equilibrium of Non-Uniform Box on Two Scales

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the center of mass of a non-uniform box placed on two scales. The equation τccw=τcw was used to determine the distance of the center of mass from the left end of the box, with the total weight of the box being (10.2N+19.4N)/g=3.02kg. The conversation also touched on choosing a center of rotation and drawing a FBD to solve the problem. The final answer for the distance of the center of mass was found to be 0.155m.
alex91alex91alex

Homework Statement

A non-uniform box sits on two scales as seen below. Scale A reads 10.2N, and scale B reads 19.4N.

Question: How far from the left end of the box is the center of mass located?

Homework Equations

τccw=τcw
τ=f*d(from pivot point)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I choose the pivot point to be the left end side of the box I get
10.2N*d1=19.4N*d2
I know that at the pivot point the box should be in equilibrium but how am I suppose to solve the equation with 2 unknowns? Do I choose a different pivot point, or am I using the wrong formula?

Attachments

• Captureforum.PNG
    Captureforum.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to define x as the unknown distance of the CM from the left end of the box. There are three forces generating torques in this problem, gravity, scale A and scale B.

Can you say what the total weight of the box is?

The total weight would be (10.2N+19.4N)/g=3.02kg, right?

Hmm, would the mg of the box be CW or CCW?

alex91alex91alex said:
The total weight would be (10.2N+19.4N)/g=3.02kg, right?
That would be the total mass. Just sum the forces for the total weight in Newtons. So w = 10.2N+19.4N.
alex91alex91alex said:
Hmm, would the mg of the box be CW or CCW?
It's neither until you pick a center of rotation :smile:

Draw your a FBD with mg located at some (unknown) distance x from your chosen center of rotation.

Likes alex91alex91alex
Ok, so let's says the center of rotation is the left end point.

10.2N(0.02m)+19.4N(0.3m-0.074m)=(10.2N+19.4N)x
10.2N(0.02m)+19.4N(0.226m)=29.6N*x
x=0.155m

is that right?

That is right.

Likes alex91alex91alex

1. What is an equilibrium non-uniform box?

An equilibrium non-uniform box is a physical system in which all forces acting on the box are balanced, resulting in a state of rest or constant motion. The box is also not uniform, meaning that its mass and/or shape may vary throughout.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a non-uniform box?

Equilibrium in a non-uniform box is achieved when the net force and torque acting on the box is equal to zero. This can be achieved by adjusting the position and distribution of the box's mass, as well as the direction and magnitude of the external forces acting on it.

3. What factors influence the equilibrium of a non-uniform box?

The equilibrium of a non-uniform box is influenced by several factors, including the distribution of mass within the box, the direction and magnitude of external forces, and the box's shape and structure. Any changes to these factors can affect the box's equilibrium state.

4. What happens if equilibrium is not achieved in a non-uniform box?

If equilibrium is not achieved in a non-uniform box, the box will experience a net force and torque, causing it to accelerate or rotate. This can lead to unpredictable and potentially dangerous movements, making it important to ensure equilibrium is maintained in such systems.

5. How is equilibrium in a non-uniform box relevant in real-world applications?

Equilibrium in a non-uniform box is relevant in many real-world applications, such as in structural engineering, where the distribution of mass and forces on a building need to be carefully balanced to prevent collapse. It is also important in fields such as physics, where non-uniform boxes are used to study the effects of varying mass and forces on an object's motion and stability.