Finding Equilibrium Points and Sketching Phase Portrait for a System of DEs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium points of a system, determining their type, and sketching the phase portrait. The solution involves solving a system of differential equations and using the Jacobian to deduce the type of equilibrium points. The use of a differential equation plotter helps confirm the results.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find the equilibrium points of the system, determine their type and sketch the phase portrait.

##\frac{dx}{dt} = -3y + xy - 10, \frac{dy}{dt} = y^2 - x^2##

The attempt at a solution

Putting it together:

##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2 - x^2}{-3y + xy - 10} \equiv \frac{Q(x,y)}{P(x,y)}##

Here, we see that the horizontal nullclines are plotted along the line ##y = \pm x## and the vertical nullclines along the curve ##y = \frac{10}{x - 3}##.

We form the Jacobian, i.e.

J = ##\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
P_x & P_y \\
Q_x & Q_y
\end{array}
\right)## = ##\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
y & x - 3 \\
-2x & -2y
\end{array}
\right)##

So ##-tr(J) = y## and ##det(J) = 2x^2 - 2y^2 - 3##.

My question is, where do I go from here? Through using a differential equation plotter, I can see that the equilibrium points are a spiral source and spiral sink at (5,5) and (-2,-2) respectively. How does one deduce this from the Jacobian?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I've overcomplicated it -- all I needed to do was solve that system of DEs for x and y (substituting x = y).

The magic of the Homework board strikes again!

What is an equilibrium point in a differential equation?

An equilibrium point in a differential equation is a point where the derivative is equal to zero, meaning that the rate of change is neither increasing nor decreasing. It is also known as a critical point or a steady state.

How do you find equilibrium points in a differential equation?

To find equilibrium points in a differential equation, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable. This will give you the values of the variable(s) at which the system is in equilibrium.

What is the significance of equilibrium points in a differential equation?

The equilibrium points in a differential equation represent the stable or steady states of a system. They can help determine the long-term behavior of the system and provide insight into its stability.

How can you tell if an equilibrium point is stable or unstable?

An equilibrium point is stable if small perturbations from that point will cause the system to return to the equilibrium point. It is unstable if small perturbations will cause the system to move away from the equilibrium point. This can be determined by analyzing the sign of the derivative at the equilibrium point.

Can a differential equation have multiple equilibrium points?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple equilibrium points. These points can be stable or unstable, and the behavior of the system will depend on the initial conditions and the stability of each equilibrium point.