Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium question regarding charge

1. Jul 14, 2012 #1
    Let's say I have a metal object sealed within an insulator (let's say glass for fun), and I give it a negative net charge.

How would the system go about returning to equilibrium?
    I understand that the insulator would not be prefect, but anything else I should know?
    Also, would the system rapidly or slowly return to equilibrium? Estimated time per some unit of charge would be appreciated, but a general answer is all I really need.

Last question (for now :P ), would there be a significant accumulation of atoms with a net positive charge on the outside of the insulator with time? (Which is why the metal is not net positive, since it would be easier for electrons to accumulate on the outside of the insulator for a number of reasons).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2
    Obviously the system would slowly return to equilibrium. The general answer is that the glass is not the perfect insulator. It will at least conduct electrons , slow though.

What are you saying ? If we give negative charge to a material will mean we are giving electrons. The body , by which we are charging the given material will be positively charged. This net positive charge and the negative charge will add up to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook