Equilibrium Question with water and ice

In summary: What is the temperature of the ice at equilibrium?In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of ice left when 5.0 kg of ice at 0◦C is added to 3.0 kg of water at 20◦C, assuming they are isolated. The equations used are Q=mcΔT and Q=mL, with cH2O = 4186 J/kg K and L = 3.3 × 105 J/kg. The final temperature of the system will be 266.7K if all the ice melts, but if some ice remains at equilibrium, there will be only one unknown and the temperature of the ice can be calculated.
Lisa Marie

Homework Statement

5.0 kg of ice at 0◦ is put into 3.0 kg of water at 20◦C. Assuming that they are isolated, that cH2O = 4186 J /kg K , and that L = 3.3 × 105 J/ kg how much ice is left when the system comes to equilibrium?

Homework Equations

Q= +/- mL
Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

mLice+mcΔTwater=0
5(3.3×105)+3(T-293)(4186)=0
T=266.7K
This answer is clearly incorrect as it would give you a negative Celsius temperature. Also how would you find mass from this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is some ice left when the system comes to equilibrium, what is the final temperature of the system?

Lisa Marie said:

The Attempt at a Solution

mLice+mcΔTwater=0
5(3.3×105)+3(T-293)(4186)=0

Why do you use 5 here? Does all of the ice melt?

TSny said:
If there is some ice left when the system comes to equilibrium, what is the final temperature of the system?

Why do you use 5 here? Does all of the ice melt?
Ok I see so you have to use (5-mf) but then there are two unknowns...

Lisa Marie said:
TSny asked two questions.

You answered regarding using (5 - mf) rather than using 5.

He also asked "If there is some ice left when the system comes to equilibrium, what is the final temperature of the system?"

So, what is the final temperature in that case?

SammyS said:
TSny asked two questions.

You answered regarding using (5 - mf) rather than using 5.

He also asked "If there is some ice left when the system comes to equilibrium, what is the final temperature of the system?"

So, what is the final temperature in that case?

Um I'm not really sure because there is two unknowns... so I guess I need another equation?

Lisa Marie said:
Um I'm not really sure because there is two unknowns... so I guess I need another equation?
If the system reaches equilibrium and some ice remains along with the (liquid) water, what is the temperature?

Lisa Marie said:
There will be only a single unknown. If at equilibrium ice is present with water, then think about the temperature of the ice.

Likes SammyS

1. What is the equilibrium question with water and ice?

The equilibrium question with water and ice is whether the two substances can coexist in a stable state, and if so, what conditions are necessary for this equilibrium to occur.

2. Is the equilibrium between water and ice affected by temperature?

Yes, temperature is a key factor in the equilibrium between water and ice. The equilibrium point shifts depending on the temperature, and at a certain temperature, both water and ice can coexist in a stable state.

3. How does pressure impact the equilibrium between water and ice?

Pressure also plays a role in the equilibrium between water and ice. At high pressures, ice is favored, while at low pressures, water is favored. This is why ice tends to form at the bottom of deep bodies of water, where the pressure is higher.

4. Can the equilibrium between water and ice be disrupted?

Yes, the equilibrium can be disrupted by changing the temperature or pressure. For example, if the temperature rises above the equilibrium point, the ice will melt and the equilibrium will shift towards water. Similarly, decreasing pressure can also disrupt the equilibrium.

5. What is the importance of the equilibrium between water and ice?

The equilibrium between water and ice is important in understanding the behavior of these substances in various environments, such as in the Earth's oceans and polar regions. It also has practical applications in fields such as refrigeration and climate science.