1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium Question with water and ice

1. Apr 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    5.0 kg of ice at 0◦ is put into 3.0 kg of water at 20◦C. Assuming that they are isolated, that cH2O = 4186 J /kg K , and that L = 3.3 × 105 J/ kg how much ice is left when the system comes to equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations
    Q= +/- mL
    Q=mcΔT

3. The attempt at a solution
    mLice+mcΔTwater=0
    5(3.3×105)+3(T-293)(4186)=0
    T=266.7K
    This answer is clearly incorrect as it would give you a negative Celsius temperature. Also how would you find mass from this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If there is some ice left when the system comes to equilibrium, what is the final temperature of the system?

Why do you use 5 here? Does all of the ice melt?

4. Apr 3, 2015 #3
    Ok I see so you have to use (5-mf) but then there are two unknowns....

5. Apr 3, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

TSny asked two questions.

You answered regarding using (5 - mf) rather than using 5.

He also asked "If there is some ice left when the system comes to equilibrium, what is the final temperature of the system?"

So, what is the final temperature in that case?

6. Apr 3, 2015 #5
    Um I'm not really sure because there is two unknowns... so I guess I need another equation?

7. Apr 3, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the system reaches equilibrium and some ice remains along with the (liquid) water, what is the temperature?

8. Apr 6, 2015 #7
    There will be only a single unknown. If at equilibrium ice is present with water, then think about the temperature of the ice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted