Equilibrium temperature of three different substances

In summary: No, I'm saying that the specific heats of those substances are not included in the data. Certainly the OP has a table with values, but, apart from water's specific heat which is known, she could write those of Al and Cu, at least so that we could control her computations (furthermore, not all tables give the same exact values).(P.S. Curious you intended this because, actually, the need of temperature dependence of specific heats is what I was thinking for another thread, that of supercooled water I started some weeks ago :smile:)
vetgirl1990
I've been asked to find the final temperature of different in an insulated container.

A combination of 0.25kg water at 20C, 0.4kg aluminum at 26C, and 0.1kg copper at 100C are combined, and allowed to come to thermal equilibrium.

Finding the equilibrium temperature for two substances is easy enough, but throws me off when another one is involved...
I approached the problem by finding the equilibrium temperature between aluminum and water separately (21.5 C), and copper and water (22.8 C).
Q(Al) = Q(H2O) --> Tfinal = 21.53C
Q(Cu) = Q(H2O) --> Tfinal = 22.85C

My rationale is that both of the metals will heat the water separately, and then the water at two different temperatures will mix.

But now that I have the final temperatures of each metal in equilibrium with water, I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I don't think I would just average the two values, as the amount of water heated by both metals is different.

Science news on Phys.org
Why don't you just write the balance of the heat transfer for all three and solve the equation for the final temperature?

nasu said:
Why don't you just write the balance of the heat transfer for all three and solve the equation for the final temperature?

Okay, so I just tried that: Q(Al) = Q(Cu) = Q(H2O). Solving for temperature, I got 38C, which makes sense. This problem is much easier than I thought -- the principles are exactly the same as two objects that are in thermal equilibrium with each other! Thank you.

No, the heats don't have to be equal.
The heat given must equal the heat taken. It may be that the two metals "give" and the water "accepts" heat.

nasu said:
No, the heats don't have to be equal.
The heat given must equal the heat taken. It may be that the two metals "give" and the water "accepts" heat.

So I suppose then, that the proper relationship to solve for thermal equilibrium would be -Q(Al) = -Q(Cu) = +Q(H2O) then? Since aluminum and copper are the warmer substances and "give away" heat, and water is the cooler substance, so it "accepts" heat.

No.

Q(Al)+Q(Cu)+Q(H2O) = 0

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No.

Q(Al)+Q(Cu)+Q(H2O) = 0

Chet

Why is this so? The temperature of Cu and Al are greater than water, so wouldn't copper and aluminum be giving heat, while water will be receiving it -- eventually meeting at some final temperature. I understand that the net exchange is 0, but in that form, why wouldn't the relationship be: Q(H2O) - Q(Al) - Q(Cu) = 0 ?

Q may be negative. They way Chet wrote it, you don't assume who gives and who takes. It comes out from the calculation.
It's not always easy to know which one does what.

Likes Chestermiller
vetgirl1990 said:
A combination of 0.25kg water at 20C, 0.4kg aluminum at 26C, and 0.1kg copper at 100C are combined, and allowed to come to thermal equilibrium.

Finding the equilibrium temperature for two substances is easy enough...
Without having the (average) specific heat of Cu an Al? You're a genius, believe me!

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
Without having the (average) specific heat of Cu an Al? You're a genius, believe me!

--
lightarrow
Are you saying that a sufficiently accurate answer to this problem cannot be obtained without including the temperature dependence of the heat capacities? Why don't you try it both ways, with- and without the temperature dependence (say, in the later case, using the heat capacities at the initial temperatures) and report back to us on the comparison of your final results?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that a sufficiently accurate answer to this problem cannot be obtained without including the temperature dependence of the heat capacities? Why don't you try it both ways, with- and without the temperature dependence (say, in the later case, using the heat capacities at the initial temperatures) and report back to us on the comparison of your final results?
No, I'm saying that the specific heats of those substances are not included in the data. Certainly the OP has a table with values, but, apart from water's specific heat which is known, she could write those of Al and Cu, at least so that we could control her computations (furthermore, not all tables give the same exact values).

(P.S. Curious you intended this because, actually, the need of temperature dependence of specific heats is what I was thinking for another thread, that of supercooled water I started some weeks ago :smile:)

Regards.

--
lightarrow

1. What is the concept of equilibrium temperature?

The concept of equilibrium temperature refers to the state in which the temperatures of two or more substances are equal and there is no net transfer of heat between them. This occurs when the rate of heat transfer from one substance to the other is equal to the rate of heat transfer in the opposite direction.

2. How is the equilibrium temperature of three different substances calculated?

The equilibrium temperature of three different substances can be calculated using the principle of energy conservation. This involves equating the sum of the heat lost by one substance to the sum of the heat gained by the other substances. The resulting equation can then be solved to find the equilibrium temperature.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature of three different substances?

The equilibrium temperature of three different substances can be affected by factors such as the specific heat capacities of the substances, their initial temperatures, and the rate of heat transfer between them. Other factors like the type of material and the presence of insulation can also impact the equilibrium temperature.

4. Can the equilibrium temperature of three different substances ever be reached?

In theory, the equilibrium temperature can be reached if the substances are left in contact with each other for an infinite amount of time. However, in practical situations, it may not be possible to reach perfect equilibrium due to factors like external influences, temperature gradients, and limitations of measurement accuracy.

5. How does the equilibrium temperature of three different substances relate to thermal equilibrium?

The equilibrium temperature of three different substances is a specific case of thermal equilibrium, where the temperatures of all substances in a system are equal and there is no net transfer of heat. In thermal equilibrium, the substances do not have to be different and the principle of energy conservation still applies in determining the final temperature.