Balancing Forces on a Wooden Board: Determining the Point of Equilibrium

In summary, the two people carrying the 4.00 m long wooden board with a weight of 180N need to lift at a point that is 3.6 meters from the end where one person is applying an upward force of 80 N. This can be calculated by finding the point where the torque is balanced, which is at 180N(4.0m) = 720N. This means that the other person needs to lift at a point that is 3.6 meters from the end where the 80 N force is applied.
SPiazzo
Two people are carrying a uniform wooden board that is 4.00 m long and weighs 180N. If one person applies an upward force equal to 80 N at one end, at what point does the other person lift?
m (distance from point of application of 80 N force)

I am thinking because of the the fact that the question gives the forces and a distance that I should use the Ʃ torque =0 but I am not sure how to set up the equation, (200)(4)=800 and and either 80x or 80(2)=160 which would create either 800+80x=0 but I don't think that is right at all.

The answer is 3.6 meters but I have yet to figure out how to reverse engineer it for the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
First, if one person lifts 80 N, what does the other person have to lift.
You know where the center of gravity of the board is, yes, and it weighs 180 N.
So pick a point and figure out the torques about that point.

So it should be 180N(4.0m)=720 so 720-80x-100?

1. What is meant by "equilibrium with torque"?

"Equilibrium with torque" refers to a state of balance where the net torque acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that there is no rotational acceleration and the object remains at rest or in a constant rotational speed.

2. How is torque related to equilibrium?

Torque is the measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around a specific axis. In equilibrium with torque, the sum of all torques acting on an object must be zero for the object to remain in balance.

3. What factors affect equilibrium with torque?

The main factors that affect equilibrium with torque are the distance of the force from the axis of rotation, the magnitude of the force, and the direction of the force. These factors can change the net torque acting on an object and therefore affect its state of equilibrium.

4. How is equilibrium with torque different from equilibrium with forces?

In equilibrium with forces, the sum of all forces acting on an object must be zero for it to remain at rest. In equilibrium with torque, the sum of all torques must be zero for the object to remain in balance. This means that in addition to the forces, the distance and direction of the forces also play a crucial role in determining equilibrium with torque.

5. How can equilibrium with torque be applied in real-world situations?

Equilibrium with torque is commonly used in engineering and physics to design and analyze structures and systems that involve rotation. For example, it is used in bridge and building construction to ensure the structures can withstand external forces and remain in balance. It is also used in sports equipment, such as golf clubs and tennis rackets, to optimize performance and stability.