Draw Equipotential Lines & Understand Electrical Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to electricity, including why birds sitting on power cables do not get electrocuted, why humans get shocked when touching certain objects, and how to draw lines of force and equipotential lines surrounding a point charge. The conversation also touches on the topic of where to post certain threads on a discussion forum.
franz32
Indeed, it's me again... asking some questions...

1. Why don't birds sitting on power cables atop transmission posts get electrocuted? Why do boys get electrocuted when the thread of the kite they are flying accidentally touches a power cable?

2. When you walk across a carpeted floor and then hold the door knob, you are more likely to get an electric shock. Why? Where does the current come from?

3. What do the lines of force surrounding a point charge represent?

4. How do I draw equipotential lines surrounding a point charge?

5. How do I draw the lines of force surrounding a point charge?

6. When you get caught at the middle of a thunder storm in an open field, you usually take refuge under a tree lying down. How should you lie down so you won't get a shock if ever the tree is hit? =)

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your comments. These are thought process which u should deeply think before posting

And what do these have to do with "Linear & Abstract Algebra"?

Sorry...

HallsOfIvy, thank you for telling me.

I was wrong in placing this equipotential lines here in this
Linear and Abstract Algebra. I wasn't able to notice it.

This must belong to electricity. (Physics)

Close thread

Hello

I hope this particular thread will be closed because there's

another one under Classical Physics. I misplaced this thread in

Math.

1. What are equipotential lines and how are they related to electrical fields?

Equipotential lines are imaginary lines that connect points with equal electric potential in a given electric field. They are perpendicular to the electric field lines and help visualize the strength and direction of the electric field. The closer together the equipotential lines are, the stronger the electric field is at that point.

2. How are equipotential lines drawn?

Equipotential lines are drawn by first identifying a few points with known electric potential in the electric field. Then, using a ruler, lines are drawn perpendicular to the electric field lines at those points. These lines are then extended throughout the entire electric field to create a visual representation of equipotential lines.

3. What is the significance of equipotential lines in studying electric fields?

Equipotential lines are significant because they are a useful tool for understanding the strength and direction of electric fields. They also help in visualizing and analyzing complex electric fields, and can be used to calculate the electric potential at any point in the field.

4. How can the distance between equipotential lines be used to determine the strength of an electric field?

The distance between equipotential lines is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. The closer together the equipotential lines are, the stronger the electric field is at that point. This can be used to compare the strength of electric fields at different points in the field and identify areas of high and low electric potential.

5. Are equipotential lines always straight lines?

No, equipotential lines are not always straight lines. In uniform electric fields, they are straight lines, but in non-uniform electric fields, they can be curved. This is because the electric field lines are curved in non-uniform fields, and the equipotential lines are always perpendicular to the electric field lines.