1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence relations and connected components(Please look at my calculations)

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi I have justed switched to a new subject and have some question.

1) Show that if X is a topology space then there exist an equivalence relation if and only if there exist a connected subset which contains both x and y.
    2) Show that the connected components are a closed space.
    3)Show that if X has a finite amount of connected components, then these are open.
    4) Find the connected components in in the following(The set [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] is the set of rational numbers, which can be partioned into none-empty open subsets of
    [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex].)
    3. The attempt at a solution

Definition: A topology space X is to have a seperation if for a pair of non-empty open subsets where [tex]x_1 \cup x_2[/tex] A space which is connection does not a have seperation.

Proof(1)
    Let T be a subspace of x, and where x and y represents a seperation i T.
    Then x is both open and closed in T. Then x is a seperation in T is defined as [tex]\overline{x} \cap T[/tex] x assumed to be closed i T, then [tex]x = \overline{x} \cap T \rightarrow \overline{x} \cap T = \emptyset.[/tex], thus [tex]\overline{x}[/tex] is union of x and its limitpoints, such that it contains, but no limit points for y.
    Next assume that x and y are disjoined sets who union is T. Where neither x or y contains limit points for each other, then

[tex]\overline{x} \cap y = \emptyset[/tex] and [tex]x \cap \overline{y} = \emptyset [/tex] then

[tex]\overline{x} \cap T = x[/tex] and [tex]\overline{y} \cap T = y[/tex]

This implies that x = T - y and y = T - x, then x and y are both closed in T.

Since there is by the proof above doesn't not exist a seperation on X, this implies that X is connected space which again implies that x is a connected subset which connects x and y and thusly the equivalence relation exists. q.e.d.

proof(2)

Let A be a subset of X. Then A = [x] is a connected component of X. Next assume that cl(A) is connected. Finally assume that [tex]z \in cl(A)[/tex] then cl(A) contains both x and z thus [tex]x \thilde z[/tex]. Then [tex]z \in [x] = A.[/tex] Thusly A = cl(A). Which implies A is closed. q.e.d.

proof(3)

How the devil do I does this?

proof(4)
    Since Q is open then its subsets are also open. q.e.d.

How is this ??

I need help with 3 :(

Sincerely
    Cauchy

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted