Understanding Equivalence Relations in Real Numbers and Vector Spaces

In summary: So the equivalence classes would be [v] = {av | a∈R, a≠0}.In summary, the exercise involves determining whether certain relations are equivalence relations and describing the partition into equivalence classes. The first example, aRb iff ab = 1, is not an equivalence relation as it is not reflexive. The second example, vRw iff there is a 1 dimensional subspace containing v and w, is an equivalence relation with equivalence classes [v] = {av | a∈R, a≠0}. Other relations are also being considered with the hope of gaining a better understanding of the concept.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

I have got myself very confused about equivalence relations. I have to determine whether certain relations R are equivalence relations (and if they are describe the partition into equivalence classes, but I'll worry about that once I understand the first part).

Here are some of the relations:

i) S = {x is a real number| x>0}; aRb iff ab = 1

ii) S = R^3\ {0}; vRw iff there is a 1 dimensional subspace of the vector space R^3 which contains v and w.

I have several other relations to consider but is someone could give me some ideas with these, hopefully I will be able to transfer my understanding to the others.

Many thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If my understanding is correct, this is not an equivalence relation as aRa is not true for all a in S, e.g. if a = 2 then 2*2=4 is not equal to 1, so R is not reflexive.

ii) S = R^3\ {0}; vRw iff there is a 1 dimensional subspace of the vector space R^3 which contains v and w.

I have no idea on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kate2010 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

If my understanding is correct, this is not an equivalence relation as aRa is not true for all a in S, e.g. if a = 2 then 2*2=4 is not equal to 1, so R is not reflexive.
Yes, that's correct.

I have no idea on this one.
Hint: A one-dimensional subspace has a basis containing just one vector, so the subspace is just the set of all multiples of that vector.

Ok, then I think it is an equivalence relation. Would the equivalence classes be [v] = {av} where a is in R?

Yup, though a can't be 0 since the zero vector isn't in S.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between elements of a set. It is a relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, meaning that every element is related to itself, if two elements are related then they are interchangeable, and if two elements are related to a third element, then they are also related to each other.

2. Why are equivalence relations important?

Equivalence relations are important because they allow us to group together elements of a set that have similar properties or characteristics. They also help us to better understand the structure and relationships within a set, which can be useful in solving problems and making predictions.

3. How are equivalence relations represented?

Equivalence relations can be represented in various ways, such as with a table, graph, or set notation. In set notation, an equivalence relation is denoted by a double vertical line symbol (||) connecting the related elements.

4. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include equality (where two elements are related if and only if they are equal), congruence (where two geometric figures are related if they have the same shape and size), and similarity (where two figures are related if they have the same shape but different sizes).

5. How are equivalence relations used in real life?

Equivalence relations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and social sciences. In everyday life, they can be used to classify objects or events, group people based on common characteristics, and establish relationships between different concepts or ideas.