Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equivalence relations

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have got myself very confused about equivalence relations. I have to determine whether certain relations R are equivalence relations (and if they are describe the partition into equivalence classes, but I'll worry about that once I understand the first part).

Here are some of the relations:

i) S = {x is a real number| x>0}; aRb iff ab = 1

ii) S = R^3\ {0}; vRw iff there is a 1 dimensional subspace of the vector space R^3 which contains v and w.

I have several other relations to consider but is someone could give me some ideas with these, hopefully I will be able to transfer my understanding to the others.

Many thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i) S = {x is a real number| x>0}; aRb iff ab = 1

If my understanding is correct, this is not an equivalence relation as aRa is not true for all a in S, e.g. if a = 2 then 2*2=4 is not equal to 1, so R is not reflexive.

ii) S = R^3\ {0}; vRw iff there is a 1 dimensional subspace of the vector space R^3 which contains v and w.

I have no idea on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's correct.

Hint: A one-dimensional subspace has a basis containing just one vector, so the subspace is just the set of all multiples of that vector.

4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    Ok, then I think it is an equivalence relation. Would the equivalence classes be [v] = {av} where a is in R?

5. Mar 6, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, though a can't be 0 since the zero vector isn't in S.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook