1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equlibrium problem

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    Hi! I'm a high school student I'm having a problem in solving this problem. Please help. thanks.

A 600N weight is attached to one of a 400N steel tube that is 2.4 m long. If the tube is balanced horizontally, what is the distance from the loaded end to the balance point?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, Armoment. In order for us to help you with homework/coursework questions, you need to show us some of your own work. We do not provide answers here on the PF, but we are very happy to provide tutorial help.

So, the steel tube will have some linear weight distribution, right? Have you drawn a sketch of the tube and weight?

EDIT -- Also, are you sure about the 600 and 400 numbers? I don't see offhand how to balance a 600N load with only a 400N rod (but I could be missing something).

4. Aug 2, 2007 #3
    Yes I have drawn a sketch. A body when it is a equlibrium when a summation of all forces is equal to zero. right? The lenght of steel tube is it included to solve this problem?

5. Aug 2, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, the way I initially interpret the problem is that you have a long tube that you attach the weight to on the left, and you want to know where the balance point of that whole object it. Except, even if you put a support directly up agains the weight on the left end, you'll have 600N to the left of the support, and 400N to the right, and the whole thing will still tip left.

Could you maybe post the whole problem statement word-for-word? Is there a drawing with the question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?