1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equlibrium problem

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    Equilibrium problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://www.deviantpics.com/image.php?id=5029_4A04401C

Mass m is atached to the wall with a light string and set on a trolley with an inclined plane.
    The string is parallel with the plane. Let's say that there is no friction at all.
    Determine intensity of the horizontal force which has to act upon the trolley so that the system stays motionless.

2. The attempt at a solution

Tsin(alpha)=G
    Tcos(alpha)=F

F=mg/tg(alpha)

But I'm not sure if this is correct. If we let alpha be 0° than force F would have to be infinite. Also this would mean that tension T is greater than G and that seems odd too.Can you please tell we what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

In the picture above you've considered the trolley and the block as one object, but that's not really valid because they are not rigidly attached to each other. Try drawing a separate free-body diagram for each, and taking into account the normal force that the trolley exerts on the block (and vice-versa). I get what seems like a more reasonable answer doing it that way.

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    OK this is what I get:

http://www.deviantpics.com/image.php?id=CDD1_4A071DF0

Is this any good?
    In this case T would be mg*sin(a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook