Error in angular magnification calculation

In summary: So now, what is the answer?In summary, the conversation discusses determining the angular magnification of an insect's wing when viewed through a microscope. After some attempts at using equations, it is realized that further information, such as the distance from the wing to the microscope, is needed. Eventually, the correct answer is found by using a distance of 25cm.
xamy

Homework Statement

The wing of an insect is 1.7 mm long. When viewed through a microscope, the image is 1.4 m long and is located 5.9 m away. Determine the angular magnification.

Homework Equations

di/do=hi/ho
M=beta/alpha

alpha=object size/object distance

beta=image size/image distance

The Attempt at a Solution

di/do=hi/ho
5.9/do=1.4/0.0017
do=0.00716

alpha=0.0017/0.00716=0.237

beta=1.4/5.9=0.237
M=1
This answer is wrong. Can anyone please point out the mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
xamy said:
I don't have angular magnification or focal length so I can't find the distance.
Did you find the reference to 25 at the link?

haruspex said:
Did you find the reference to 25 at the link?
I have solved the question using 25cm for the distance. Thankyou for your guidance. Sorry earlier I was looking at the wrong portion of this link.

xamy said:
I have solved the question using 25cm for the distance. Thankyou for your guidance. Sorry earlier I was looking at the wrong portion of this link.
Ok, good.

1. What is angular magnification and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Angular magnification is a measure of how much an object appears to be magnified when viewed through a lens or optical instrument. It is important in scientific calculations because it allows for accurate measurements and comparisons of small objects or details that may not be visible to the naked eye.

2. How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated by dividing the image distance (distance from lens to image) by the object distance (distance from lens to object).

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of angular magnification calculations?

The accuracy of angular magnification calculations can be affected by several factors, including the quality and design of the lens, the distance between the lens and the object, and any errors or distortions in the optical system.

4. How can errors in angular magnification calculations be minimized?

To minimize errors in angular magnification calculations, it is important to use high-quality lenses and to ensure that the object and image distances are measured accurately. Regular maintenance and calibration of optical instruments can also help reduce errors.

5. What should I do if I encounter an unexpected error in my angular magnification calculation?

If you encounter an unexpected error in your angular magnification calculation, it is important to double-check your measurements and ensure that all components of the calculation are correct. If the error persists, consult with a colleague or refer to the instrument manual for troubleshooting tips.