1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error in Taylor polynomial of e^x

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Find the Taylor polynomial of degree 9 of

f(x) = e^x

about x=0 and hence approximate the value of e. Estimate the error in the approximation.

I have written the taylor polynomial and evaluated for x=1 to give an approximation of e.
    Its just the error that is confusing me. I have:

R_n(x) = \frac{f^{(n+1)}(z)}{(n+1)!}(x-a)^{n+1} = \frac{e^z}{10!}

and I need to find an upper bound for this to give the maximum error of the approximation.
    So far I have

0 < z < 1, e^0 < e^z < e^1
    and then

\frac{1}{10!} < \frac{e^z}{10!} < \frac{e}{10!}

but then the upper bound has an e in it. In a similar example in the book they have just put in 3 instead of e, I guess making the assumption that e < 3. But I'm thinking if i do this I should somehow show that e < 3.

Thanks for any help :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you first approximated e using your Taylor polynomial? That should suggest that e< 3.
  4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    I have, the approximation less than 3 but that doesn't necessarily mean that the actual value (taylor approximation + error) is < 3, does it?
  5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    You do not need to show e < 3. Everyone know e is 2.71828 18284 59045 23536... :D

To be honest, I never knew approximation would give lower value (surprised!), but it should be obvious .. see the red line http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Exp_derivative_at_0.svg

You are trying to get upper error bound; mine prof said it doesn't matter what you pick (50,100,..) it just have to be above the max function value!

so e^1 = 1+1+1/2+1/6+.. (you know little more than 2)
    Why should take risk of using something like 2.5..
    simply pick 3!
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. Apr 25, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the replies. I had another idea, I could show (by taking the lower sum of small interval slices) that the area under the graph of 1/x between 1 and 3 has to be greater than 1, therefore 3 > e.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?