Understanding the Error of Taylor Polynomials in Approximating Functions

In summary, the error of a Taylor series of order n is given by$$\frac{f^{n+1} (s)}{n!} (x-a)^n$$where s is a number between a and x, and it depends on x. For linear approximation, the error is given by$$\frac{f''(s)}{2} (x-a)^2$$To find s, you can use an example such as the linear approximation of √(47) with a = 49. The worst case for the approximation error is when s = 47, and the best case is when s = 49. The approximation error is guaranteed to be between 0.001
wahaj
the error of a taylor series of order(I think that's the right word) n is given by
[tex] \frac{f^{n+1} (s)}{n!} (x-a)^n [/tex]

I think this is right. The error in a linear approximation would simply be

[tex] \frac{f''(s)}{2} (x-a)^2 [/tex]

My question is what is s and how do I find it. Use linear approximation of √(47) if you need to use an example because I just did that question so it might be easier to explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
wahaj said:
the error of a taylor series of order(I think that's the right word) n is given by
[tex] \frac{f^{n+1} (s)}{n!} (x-a)^n [/tex]
Actually, it should be
$$\frac{f^{n+1} (s)}{(n+1)!} (x-a)^{n+1}$$

I think this is right. The error in a linear approximation would simply be

[tex] \frac{f''(s)}{2} (x-a)^2 [/tex]

My question is what is s and how do I find it.
All that you know for sure is that ##s## is a number between ##a## and ##x##, and it depends on ##x##.

Use linear approximation of √(47) if you need to use an example because I just did that question so it might be easier to explain.
OK, you didn't specify a value for ##a##, so I'll pick ##a = 49##. Then, if I still remember how to take derivatives, we should have
$$f(x) = x^{1/2}$$
$$f'(x) = \frac{1}{2}x^{-1/2}$$
$$f''(x) = \frac{-1}{4}x^{-3/2}$$
so
$$\begin{align}f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + \frac{1}{2}f''(s)(x-a)^2 &= (49)^{1/2} + \frac{1}{2}(49)^{-1/2}(x-49) + \frac{-1}{8}s^{-3/2}(x-49)^2\\
&= 7 + \frac{1}{14}(x-49) - \frac{1}{8}s^{-3/2}(x-49)^2\\
\end{align}$$
where ##s## is some number between ##a## and ##x##. Setting ##x=47##, we get
$$\sqrt{47} = 7 - \frac{1}{7} - \frac{1}{2}s^{-3/2}$$
where ##s## is some number satisfying ##47 \leq s \leq 49##. Putting it another way, if we use only the linear approximation ##7 - 1/7##, then the approximation error is
##-\frac{1}{2}s^{-3/2}## for some ##47 \leq s \leq 49##. We can bound this error by taking the worst case ##s## (the value that maximizes the absolute approximation error), which in this case is obtained by choosing ##s=47##. Then the approximation error is guaranteed to satisfy
$$|\textrm{approximation error}| \leq \frac{1}{2}(47)^{-3/2} = 0.00155176...$$
Actually, we can also obtain a lower bound for the approximation error by choosing the best-case value of ##s##, namely ##s = 49##. The error will be at least ##\frac{1}{2}(49)^{-3/2} = 0.00145772...##. Thus we in fact have
$$0.00145772... \leq |\textrm{approximation error}| \leq 0.00155176...$$
We can check this: the actual value of ##\sqrt{47}## is
$$\sqrt{47} = 6.8556546...$$
and our approximation is
$$7 - 1/7 = 6.85714285...$$
and the error is therefore ##6.85714285... - 6.8556546... = 0.00148825...## which is indeed within the computed range.

Last edited:
Thanks that makes more sense than my book

What is the Taylor polynomial?

The Taylor polynomial is a mathematical approximation of a function using a series of polynomial terms. It is used to estimate the value of a function at a particular point, based on its derivatives at that point.

What is the error of a Taylor polynomial?

The error of a Taylor polynomial is the difference between the actual value of the function and the estimated value using the polynomial. It represents the accuracy of the approximation and decreases as higher order terms are added to the polynomial.

How is the error of a Taylor polynomial calculated?

The error of a Taylor polynomial is calculated using the remainder term of the Taylor series, which is given by the formula Rn(x) = f(n+1)(c)(x-a)^n+1/n! where c is a value between the original point a and the point of approximation x. This remainder term can be used to find an upper bound for the error.

Why is the error of a Taylor polynomial important?

The error of a Taylor polynomial is important because it allows us to determine the accuracy of our approximation and to make improvements by adding more terms to the polynomial. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the function near the point of approximation.

Can the error of a Taylor polynomial ever be zero?

No, the error of a Taylor polynomial can never be exactly zero. However, it can be made arbitrarily small by adding more terms to the polynomial. In some cases, the error may be negligible and the polynomial can provide a very good approximation of the function.