Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error on the TI-89 Titanium

Tags:
  1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    I was working with a much longer equation and receiving a result I didn't expect, and finally narrowed it down to the following section:

[itex]2(-2^3)-3(-2^2)[/itex]

2(-2^3) is correctly calculated as -16 independently, and 3(-2^2) is correctly calculated as 12 (again, independently) for a difference of -28, but my calculator is returning -4.

No matter how I enter the equation, the only way I obtain a correct result is by first defining a variable as -2 and then substituting that variable in for -2 in the equation.

Is this problem repeated on anyone else's unit? And if you've encountered this sort of problem before, is there a way to correct it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Is -22 intended to mean -(22) or (-2)2?

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

I will use (-) for the negative operator

I hope 3((-)2^2) is not calculated as 12 that would be very wrong

3((-)2^2)=-12 due to operator precedence

2((-)2^3)-3((-)2^2)=2((-)(2^3))-3((-)(2^2))=-4

perhaps you had intended to write

2(((-)2)^3)-3(((-)2)^2)=-28

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4
    There are a number of different ways to enter the problem to achieve the intended result. I have tried a few variations, all with the same results.

[itex](2*((-2)^3))-(3*((-2)^2))=-4[/itex]
    [itex](2*((z)^3))-(3*((z)^2))=-28[/itex]

This is a piece of the derivative of a function, and -2 is one of the zeros of the derivative signifying a local maximum in the function. The intent is to solve the equation when z=-2 (among other values)

Incidentally, entering the equation in the calculator as I originally did produces the same results; the intent is not to find -(2^3) (which is -8) but (-2^3) (which is also -8, but for a different reason).

[itex](2*-2^3)-(3*-2^2)=-4[/itex]
    [itex](2*z^3)-(3*z^2)=-28[/itex]

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

^Of those four only the first one is surprising. If that input gives that output I am quite confused.
    What happens if you enter
    2((0-2)^3)-3((0-2)^2)
    ?
    I do not have a ti89 handy
    I do know that the manual gives the example
    ((-1)2)^2=4
    (-)2^2=-4

7. Nov 28, 2013 #6

Mark44

The above is a very silly use of parentheses.

(-2)2 should evaluate to +4.
    -22 should evaluate to -4.
    The trouble with this notation, above, is that the - sign is not binding to anything.

8. Nov 28, 2013 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

^It is not silly, it is to distinguish between the unary and binary operators. It is the same notation used on the calculator keypad. For you special
    3(-<<<the unary one>>>2^2)

to quote the manual

$$\text{Important: Use }\bbox[3px,border:2px solid black]{\phantom( - \phantom)}\text{ for subtraction and use }\bbox[3px,border:2px solid black]{(-)}\text{ for negation.}$$

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  9. Nov 29, 2013 #8

Borek

Mark, not sure if you know it, but TI-89 has two different minus keys.

TI-89_minus_keys.jpg

The one with "(-)" is an unary "change sign" operator, the other is a binary "minus". Hence the "(-)" and "-" notation is just reflecting the reality.

10. Nov 29, 2013 #9

Mark44

No, I didn't know that. That notation seems to be fairly new in calculators. Calculators have been distinguishing between the unary minus and binary subtraction operator for a long time, but using +- for the unary operation and - for subtraction.

I didn't realize that lurflurf was using (-) to mimic that key on the TI-89.

11. Nov 29, 2013 #10
    The [(-)] key doesn't mimic a [+/-] key, it correctly implements the operation of negation in normal mathementical notation which is to negate the following argument, whereas the normal implementation of a [+/-] key is to negate the argument currently displayed.

Note that page 943(!) of the manual states:

12. Nov 29, 2013 #11

Borek

Now that I look at the picture of my TI, I think it is time to clean it :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook