Estimate of time of the universe

In summary, the time of matter-radiation equality, t_{eq}, can be written as: t_{eq} =\frac{a_{eq}^{\frac{3}{2}}}{H_{0}\sqrt{\Omega_{m}}} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x+1}} dx, where a_{eq} is the scale factor at matter-radiation equality, H_{0} is the Hubble constant and \Omega_{m} is the matter density parameter. This can be derived by substituting the definition of H(a) into the equation for time and rearranging. A common mistake is to assume that \frac{\Omega_{m}}{\Omega_{r
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Show that the time of matter-radiation equality, t_{eq} can be written:
$$ t_{eq} =\frac{a_{eq}^{\frac{3}{2}}}{H_{0}\sqrt{\Omega_{m}}} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x+1}} dx $$

Homework Equations

$$ t = \int_{0}^{t} dt = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{1}{H(a)} \frac{da}{a} $$ [Given]
$$ H^{2}(a) \approx H^{2}_{0} \bigg( \frac{\Omega_{m}}{a^{3}} + \frac{\Omega_{r}}{a^{4}}\bigg)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I won't write it out here - it's just a lot of algebra - but substitute the definition of ##H(a)## into the equation for the time and rearrange is clearly what you need to do.

I got stuck however, because apparently you are meant to say: [this is in the solution set provided by my lecturer]
$$ \bigg( \frac{\Omega_{m}}{\Omega_{r}} \bigg) = \frac{1}{1+z_{eq}} = a_{eq}$$
This makes no sense to me at all! At matter-radiation equality, we could expect, by definition:
$$ \frac{\Omega_{m}}{\Omega_{r}}=1 \implies z_{eq} = 0$$
i.e matter-radiation equilibrium is occurring right now, which is obviously nonsense. [and would conflict completely with the result we are trying to show]

Have I misunderstood something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem solved!

The point is that at matter radiation equality, we must have that:

$$ \frac{\rho_{M}}{\rho_{R}} = 1 $$

This does NOT mean that:

$$ \frac{\Omega_{M}}{\Omega_{R}} = 1 $$ Since :

$$ \frac{\rho_{M}}{\rho_{R}} = \frac{\frac{\Omega_{M}}{a^{3}}}{\frac{\Omega_{R}}{a^{4}}} = \frac{1}{a}\frac{\Omega_{M}}{\Omega_{R}} $$

So at radiation matter equality, we have:

$$ \frac{1}{a_{eq}}\frac{\Omega_{M}}{\Omega_{R}} = 1 \implies \frac{\Omega_{M}}{\Omega_{R}} = \frac{1}{1+z_{eq}} $$ as req'd.

Opps, I posted an incorrect statement and don't know how to delete this post... sorry.

Correction:
I don't think the 3rd equation is correct? is it?

1. When was the universe created?

The universe is estimated to be approximately 13.8 billion years old. This age is determined by studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the oldest light in the universe.

2. How do scientists estimate the age of the universe?

The age of the universe is estimated through a variety of methods, including studying the expansion rate of the universe, the abundance of certain elements, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. These methods are combined to provide a more accurate estimate.

3. Has the estimated age of the universe changed over time?

Yes, the estimated age of the universe has changed as our understanding and technology have improved. In the early 20th century, the age was thought to be approximately 2 billion years, but with advancements in technology and new discoveries, we now estimate it to be 13.8 billion years.

4. Can the estimated age of the universe be proven?

The estimated age of the universe is based on scientific evidence and theories, but it cannot be definitively proven. As our understanding of the universe evolves, the estimated age may also change.

5. How does the estimated age of the universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The estimated age of the universe is closely tied to the Big Bang theory, which is the prevailing explanation for the origin of the universe. The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a single point and has been expanding ever since, leading to the estimated age of 13.8 billion years.