Estimate the energy stored in a match

In summary, the conversation was about estimating the amount of energy released by burning a match. The original estimate from Google was about 1BTU, but the person couldn't think of a way to estimate it from general knowledge. They considered comparing the power output of a match to that of a lightbulb, and estimated that a match would be 10 times less bright, giving it a power of 10W. However, this resulted in an estimate of only 100J, much less than the correct answer. The person realizes that their error was underestimating the power output of a match, but they are still within an order of magnitude of the given answer. They also discuss alternative approaches, but note that the exercise is meant
paco_uk

Homework Statement

This is for a class to learn about making order of magnitude estimates. I want to estimate the amount of energy released by burning a match. Googling gives an answer of about 1BTU (just over 1kJ) but I can't think how to estimate it from general knowledge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered trying to compare the power output of a match to that of a lightbulb. I guessed that a match would be at least a factor of 10 less bright than a 100W lightbulb.

This would give a match a power of 10W so assuming it burns for 10 seconds that would make 100J - a lot less than the correct answer.

I guess my error comes from underestimating the power output of a match but since my intuition was so wildly out, does anyone have an alternative approach that might get closer?

(It would be interesting to try and measure this value by using a lit match to heat some water and measuring the change in temperature but the spirit of this exercise is back of the envelope calculations without experiment)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea, and you are within an order of magnitude of the given answer, so IMO that's not a bad result.

Basically, you have both the wattage or the burn time that could be different than what you said they were.

Thanks, I guess given the original estimates a factor of 10 isn't that bad after all.

1. What is the energy stored in a match?

The energy stored in a match is approximately 1 joule (J). This value may vary slightly depending on the type and brand of match.

2. How is the energy stored in a match calculated?

The energy stored in a match can be calculated using the formula E = mv2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the match head, and v is the velocity of the ignited flame.

3. Can the energy stored in a match be converted into other forms?

Yes, the energy stored in a match can be converted into heat and light energy when the match is ignited. This is known as chemical energy conversion.

4. How does the energy stored in a match compare to other sources of energy?

The energy stored in a match is relatively low compared to other sources of energy such as fossil fuels or nuclear energy. However, it can still be used for various purposes such as lighting candles or starting a fire.

5. What factors can affect the energy stored in a match?

The energy stored in a match can be affected by the composition and size of the match head, the amount of friction when striking the match, and the surrounding temperature and air pressure. These factors can influence the efficiency of the chemical reaction that produces the energy in the match.