1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate Vector Field Surface Integral

1. Dec 3, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
    DkKHpDI.png

I assume this is a simple summation of the normal components of the vector fields at the given points multiplied by dA which in this case would be 1/4.

jyxG7rs.png
    This is not being accepted as the correct answer. Not sure where I am going wrong. My textbook doesn't discuss estimating surface integrals of vector fields but I assume it's done this way, similar to any other integral. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2016 #2
    Hi maxhersch,

The vector <1/4, 3/4, 1> is not a unit normal vector pointing in the positive z direction. It is a vector that points along the direction between the origin and the point (1/4, 3/4, 1). A unit normal vector pointing in the positive z-direction is <0, 0, 1>. The point that this vector is attached to for the purpose of carrying out this integral is (1/4, 3/4, 0), but in the usual formalism of Gibbs vector calculus, we do not usually show this second condition.
    Recall that each point is assigned its own unit normal vector for the purpose of carrying out the integral, but the coordinates of the point do not appear as components of the unit normal vector. They are relatively indepedent numbers, as the direction of the unit normal vector is determined by the orientation of a small section of surface containing the point, not the point all by itself.

4. Dec 3, 2016 #3
    Perfect thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted