Estimating activity of a radiocative sample

• Thread starter shannon.leigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Activity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the decay constant and activity of a sample of processed waste from a nuclear reactor that contains 1.0*10^24 plutonium-239 atoms with a half-life of 2.41*10^4 years. The conversation includes a question about how many atoms will decay in the next 2.41*10^4 years and an attempt to estimate the original activity of the sample. The solution involves using the decay constant and rearranging equations to find the unknown parameters. The decay constant is inversely proportional to the half-life and can be calculated using various methods.
shannon.leigh

Homework Statement

A sample of processed waste from a nuclear reactor contains 1.0*10^24 plutonium-239 atoms. The half life of plutonium-239 is 2.41*10^4 years.
a) How many plutonium-239 atoms will decay in the next 2.41*10^4 years?
b) Estimate the activity of the original sample.

Homework Equations

I guess that A=Ao(1/2)^t/(t*o.5)nwould be relevant, but really I don't see how. A= the decaying quantity remaining, which I know anyway, and nothing else that I could rearrange the equation for will tell me the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to do a) alright, but I can't figure out b).
I can't really attempt the solution because I have no idea how. I know that the activity will be divided by 2 after each half life, but I don't know how to estimate the current activity to find the original. Please help me!

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The activity is related to the half-life. Activity (A) = [tex]\lambda[/tex] N. [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the decay constant of the element and N is the number of atoms in the sample. Half-life (H) = ln(2)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]. With this, you should be able to rewrite activity in terms of given quantities.

Thankyou for that!. . .but I still have one question. . .What's the decay constant? As In how do you calculate it? I think I've been learning by different names. . .

The decay constant crops up in exponential decay problems in all sorts of different equations.

It is in the defining equation of exponential decay [tex]\frac{dN}{dt}=\lambda N[/tex]. The solution to this equation is often written [tex]N=N_0 e^{\lambda t}[/tex].

You may see it most often in its inverse form as [tex]\tau=1/\lambda[/tex].

With this relation, it is easy to derive the equation for half-life.

The decay constant is inversely proportional to the half-life. Half-life=ln(2)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]. If you rearrange that equation, you should be able to find [tex]\lambda[/tex] in terms of a known quantity in this problem, the half-life.

This is the way to calculate [tex]\lambda[/tex] for this problem, but please do not memorize just that method. There are lots of ways of calculating [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Generally, you will have to look at the equations that you know, find the parameters that you know, and then rearrange those equations to find the parameters that you need.

for your question. I would approach this problem by first understanding the concepts of half-life and radioactive decay. Plutonium-239 has a half-life of 2.41*10^4 years, which means that after this amount of time, half of the original sample will have decayed into other elements. So, after one half-life, the sample will contain 5.0*10^23 atoms of plutonium-239.

To answer part a), we can use this understanding of half-life to calculate the number of atoms that will decay in the next 2.41*10^4 years. Since the sample contains 1.0*10^24 atoms, and half of these will decay after one half-life, we can estimate that approximately 5.0*10^23 atoms will decay in the next 2.41*10^4 years.

To estimate the activity of the original sample, we need to understand the concept of activity in relation to radioactive decay. Activity is a measure of how many atoms are decaying per unit time. In this case, the activity of the sample will decrease as the atoms decay into other elements.

To estimate the activity of the original sample, we can use the equation A=Ao(1/2)^t/(t*o.5)n, where A is the current activity, Ao is the initial activity, t is the time in years, and n is the number of half-lives that have passed.

Since we know that half of the sample will decay after one half-life, we can estimate that the current activity is half of the original activity. So, using the equation, we get A=(1/2)Ao(1/2)^2.41*10^4/(2.41*10^4*0.5)=Ao/4. This means that the current activity is one fourth of the original activity. Therefore, we can estimate that the activity of the original sample was 4 times the current activity, or 4*A.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would estimate that the activity of the original sample was 4*A, where A is the current activity. This approach takes into account the understanding of half-life and radioactive decay to provide a reasonable estimate of the original activity of the sample.

Related to Estimating activity of a radiocative sample

1. How do you estimate the activity of a radioactive sample?

The activity of a radioactive sample can be estimated by measuring the number of decays that occur per unit of time, typically measured in counts per minute (CPM) or counts per second (CPS). This can be done using specialized equipment such as a Geiger counter or scintillation counter.

2. What is the formula for calculating the activity of a radioactive sample?

The formula for calculating the activity of a radioactive sample is A = λN, where A is the activity in decays per second (Bq), λ is the decay constant, and N is the number of radioactive atoms present in the sample.

3. How does the half-life of a radioactive isotope affect its activity?

The half-life of a radioactive isotope is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. As the half-life decreases, the activity of the sample increases, since more decays are occurring in a shorter amount of time.

4. Can the activity of a radioactive sample be changed?

The activity of a radioactive sample cannot be changed by external factors. It is a characteristic property of the isotope and is determined by its decay constant and the number of atoms present in the sample.

5. Why is it important to estimate the activity of a radioactive sample?

Estimating the activity of a radioactive sample is important for several reasons. It allows us to monitor and control radiation exposure, understand the decay process of isotopes, and determine the age of materials through radiometric dating techniques.