1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating activity of a radiocative sample

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sample of processed waste from a nuclear reactor contains 1.0*10^24 plutonium-239 atoms. The half life of plutonium-239 is 2.41*10^4 years.
    a) How many plutonium-239 atoms will decay in the next 2.41*10^4 years?
    b) Estimate the activity of the original sample.

2. Relevant equations
    I guess that A=Ao(1/2)^t/(t*o.5)nwould be relevant, but really I don't see how. A= the decaying quantity remaining, which I know anyway, and nothing else that I could rearrange the equasion for will tell me the right answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I managed to do a) alright, but I can't figure out b).
    I can't really attempt the solution because I have no idea how. I know that the activity will be divided by 2 after each half life, but I don't know how to estimate the current activity to find the original. Please help me!!!

Thank you

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    The activity is related to the half-life. Activity (A) = [tex]\lambda[/tex] N. [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the decay constant of the element and N is the number of atoms in the sample. Half-life (H) = ln(2)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]. With this, you should be able to rewrite activity in terms of given quantities.

4. May 14, 2010 #3
    Thankyou for that!. . .but I still have one question. . .What's the decay constant? As In how do you calculate it? I think I've been learning by different names. . .

5. May 14, 2010 #4
    The decay constant crops up in exponential decay problems in all sorts of different equations.

It is in the defining equation of exponential decay [tex]\frac{dN}{dt}=\lambda N[/tex]. The solution to this equation is often written [tex]N=N_0 e^{\lambda t}[/tex].

You may see it most often in its inverse form as [tex]\tau=1/\lambda[/tex].

With this relation, it is easy to derive the equation for half-life.

The decay constant is inversely proportional to the half-life. Half-life=ln(2)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]. If you rearrange that equation, you should be able to find [tex]\lambda[/tex] in terms of a known quantity in this problem, the half-life.

This is the way to calculate [tex]\lambda[/tex] for this problem, but please do not memorize just that method. There are lots of ways of calculating [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Generally, you will have to look at the equations that you know, find the parameters that you know, and then rearrange those equations to find the parameters that you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook