Power produced from alpha decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of electrical power from the α decay of a 14 kg sample of 240Pu with 60% efficiency. The solution involves finding the energy released from each decay, determining the number of Pu-240 atoms decaying per second, and then calculating the power produced.
MattHorbacz

Homework Statement

Assume that a 14 kg sample of 240Pu is used to produce electrical power from its α decay. If your device is 60% efficient in producing electrical power, how much power can be produced? (in watts)

Homework Equations

Q=mass of plutonium-mass alpha-mass daughter; 240 plutonium= alpha +uranium236

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Q to be 5.25572 Mev. The number of Plutonium atoms is 14*10^3 grams * 6.022*10^23/240. Multiply this by Q to get total energy in ev. Then multiply by 1.602176565e-19 to get in terms of Joules. Then multiply by .6, and that's where I get stuck. No idea how to get to watts. the answer should be 59.4 watts.

Physics news on Phys.org
MattHorbacz said:

Homework Statement

Assume that a 14 kg sample of 240Pu is used to produce electrical power from its α decay. If your device is 60% efficient in producing electrical power, how much power can be produced? (in watts)

Homework Equations

Q=mass of plutonium-mass alpha-mass daughter; 240 plutonium= alpha +uranium236

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Q to be 5.25572 Mev. The number of Plutonium atoms is 14*10^3 grams * 6.022*10^23/240. Multiply this by Q to get total energy in ev. Then multiply by 1.602176565e-19 to get in terms of Joules. Then multiply by .6, and that's where I get stuck. No idea how to get to watts. the answer should be 59.4 watts.

You need to know how quickly Pu-240 decays. Do you know the half-life of Pu-240?

I looked it up at it seems to be about 6560 years

MattHorbacz said:
I looked it up at it seems to be about 6560 years
OK, from that, you need to figure out how many atoms of Pu-240 are decaying each second in your original 14 kg of this substance.

Knowing that, you have already computed how much energy is released with each decay, so finding the power should be trivial.

Likes MattHorbacz

1. What is alpha decay?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an atom emits an alpha particle, composed of two protons and two neutrons, from its nucleus. This process results in the transformation of the original atom into a different element.

2. How is power produced from alpha decay?

Power is produced from alpha decay through the release of energy in the form of radiation. When an alpha particle is emitted from an atom's nucleus, it carries kinetic energy that can be harnessed and converted into electricity.

3. What are the advantages of using power produced from alpha decay?

One advantage of using power produced from alpha decay is that it is a relatively stable and reliable source of energy. It also produces minimal air pollution and does not emit greenhouse gases, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to fossil fuels.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with power produced from alpha decay?

While alpha decay is considered a relatively safe form of nuclear power, there are potential risks associated with it. These include the possibility of accidents or leaks at nuclear power plants, as well as the long-term storage and disposal of radioactive waste.

5. How is the power produced from alpha decay regulated?

In most countries, power produced from alpha decay is regulated by government agencies such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in the United States. These agencies set strict safety standards and oversee the operation of nuclear power plants to ensure public and environmental safety.