Estimating cot(46°) Using Method of Differentials

In summary, the conversation is about using the method of differentials to estimate the value of cot(46 degrees) to 4 decimal places. The group discusses the use of radians and how it makes the derivative easier to find. They also mention that the method of differentials is synonymous with linear approximation or Taylor series approximation. The conversation ends with the person thanking everyone for their help and realizing that their textbook may have confused them by using different terminology.
Sethka
I am completely lost on these differentials! Can anyone help me make sense of them? Especially this question in particular:

cot(46(deg))

(Sorry, I don't know how to make that small little circle thing that denotes degree)

I'm supposed to use the method of differentials to estimate it to 4 decimal places.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've tried. Do you know how to use this method?

By the way, I'd never heard of the "method of differentials" before, and I had to do a google search to figure out what it is. It seems to just be synonomous with "linear approximation", or, if you want a higher order approximation, "taylor series approximation", by which names I think the method is much more well known. Just another reason to always show your work if you want help.

45 degrees is [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] radians. 1 degree is [itex]\frac{\pi}{180}[/itex] radians. It's better to use radians because that way the derivative is easier: if x is measured in radians then the derivative of y= cos(x) is y'= -sin(x) and so the differential is dy= -sin(x)dx. y+ dy= cos(x)- sin(x)dx.
To find [itex]cos(\frac{pi}{4}+ \frac{\pi}{180}[/itex], let [itex]x= \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] so that [itex]y= cos(\frac{\pi}{4})= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex], [itex]-sin(x)= -sin(\frac{\pi}{4})= -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex] and [itex]dx= \frac{\pi}{180}[/itex].

Oh Thanks!

Thanks you guys, My textbooks are a little backwards it seems. Where one asks me to use method of differentials the other teaches linear aproximation, that was so confusing and now I see why. Thanks A bunch!

Related to Estimating cot(46°) Using Method of Differentials

1. What is the method of differentials?

The method of differentials is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point by using the values of the function at nearby points.

2. How does the method of differentials work?

The method of differentials uses the derivative of a function to find the slope of a tangent line at a given point. This slope is then used to approximate the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the purpose of using the method of differentials?

The method of differentials is used to estimate the value of a function at a point where the function is not easily computable. It is also used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.

4. What are the limitations of the method of differentials?

The method of differentials can only provide an approximation of the value of a function at a point and is not always accurate. It also requires knowledge of the derivative of the function, which may not always be easy to obtain.

5. How is the method of differentials different from other approximation methods?

The method of differentials is a first-order approximation method, meaning it uses the first derivative of a function to approximate its value. Other methods, such as Taylor series, use higher-order derivatives and are more accurate but also more complex.