Is my Cyclette Generating Enough Power at Resistance Level 4?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a cyclette with 8 resistance levels and the calculation of power generated while pedaling at a certain resistance level and RPM. The speaker is skeptical about the low power output and questions whether there are other assumptions to consider. They also mention not having enough information to understand how the force varies with speed.
Alex99
Hi all!

I have a cyclette with 8 resistance levels set magnetically using a knob (a magnet is moved near the rotating disk thereby increasing its rotating resistance). The distance from the pedal to the center is 0.165 m. At resistance level 4, if I put a weight greater than or equal to 0.750 kg on the pedal (such that the direction of the force is normal to the ground and tangent to the circle generated by the rotating pedal, that is when the pedal is at "hour 9 position"), then the system rotates. The system does not rotate if I use a lower weight. If I pedal at 65 rpm I should generate the following power in watts:

P = 0.750 x 9.81 x 0.165 x 2 x Pi x 65 / 60 = 8.26 W

Is the above calculation correct? It assumes the force applied by the legs is constant for the whole revolution (which is not actually the case but I hope it's a good approximation).

Are there other assumptions I didn't consider? The reason I'm skeptical is that 8 W seems a very low number, considering that I'm using a resistance of 4 of 8.

Even if I were pedaling at 120 rpm and level 8, the power (using the above formula) would only be 18.71 W.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex99 said:
What am I missing?
Probably that the resistance at 65RPM doesn't equal the static resistance.

Likes Alex99
Yep. Unfortunately I have no other information that can help me understanding how the force varies with speed.

1. What is "estimating cyclette power"?

Estimating cyclette power refers to the process of calculating the amount of power output generated by a person while using a stationary bike, also known as a cyclette. This measurement is typically used to track an individual's fitness progress or to evaluate the effectiveness of a cycling workout.

2. How is cyclette power estimated?

Cyclette power can be estimated using a variety of methods, such as using a power meter on the bike, measuring heart rate and cadence, or using equations based on speed and resistance. The most accurate method is using a power meter, which directly measures the power output. However, other methods can provide a good estimate.

3. Why is it important to estimate cyclette power?

Estimating cyclette power can provide valuable information about an individual's fitness level and progress. It can also help with setting and achieving fitness goals, and can be used to track improvements in performance over time. Additionally, for competitive cyclists, knowing their power output can aid in race strategy and training.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of cyclette power estimates?

The accuracy of cyclette power estimates can be affected by several factors, such as the type of equipment used, the individual's cycling technique, and external factors like air resistance and temperature. Additionally, individual differences in fitness level and body composition can also impact the accuracy of the estimate.

5. Can cyclette power estimates be used for weight loss goals?

Cyclette power estimates can be a useful tool for weight loss goals, as they can provide an indication of the intensity and duration of a cycling workout. However, it is important to note that weight loss is not solely determined by the amount of power output, but also by factors such as diet and overall physical activity level.