Estimating Future Velocity w/ Radar Gun & Internal Error

• Thread starter NoobixCube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, when predicting the future with a new radar gun, the standard deviation may not necessarily change even if the mean changes. More data is needed to establish the future variance and standard deviation. Making an educated guess without additional information may not be accurate.
NoobixCube
Suppose I have a radar gun that can measure velocity with an internal error with a mean of 3 m/s and a standard deviation of 1m/s on that error
eg velocity
10 +- 2.8
6 +- 3.1
21 +- 3.2and so on. Now I want to make a prediction of the future when I get a new radar gun. It will have an internal error of roughly 1m/s
How then do I scale the std deviation? by a factor of three?
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A change in the mean doesn't have to change the standard deviation.
The standard deviation could still be 1m/s.

For example {3,4,5,3,4,5} and {7,8,9,7,8,9} have the same standard deviation but different means.

You really need more data to establish a future variance and standard deviation.

If you were to make an educated guess would it make sense to scale the std?
What other data would you need?

NoobixCube said:
If you were to make an educated guess would it make sense to scale the std?

No, not without more information.

NoobixCube said:
What other data would you need?

You need to know if the variance has changed.

If your future radar gun is no more precise, but simply more accurately calibrated, your average will change but the variance and std.dev. will not.

I would think that math could explain & tell every little detail about the future, however I think that you would have to have an equation for everything, so until this "Quantum Theory" stuff is solved. Until then, I think all you 'can' do is make an educated guess. : )

Last edited:

Related to Estimating Future Velocity w/ Radar Gun & Internal Error

1. What is a radar gun and how does it work?

A radar gun is a device used to measure the speed of an object by using the Doppler effect. It emits a radio wave towards the object and measures the frequency of the reflected wave to determine the speed of the object.

2. What is the purpose of estimating future velocity with a radar gun?

Estimating future velocity with a radar gun is important in many fields, such as sports, traffic control, and law enforcement. It allows for the prediction of an object's future position and speed, which can be used for safety, performance evaluation, and decision making.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of a radar gun?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a radar gun, including the calibration of the gun, the angle of the gun to the object, weather conditions, and the size and shape of the object being measured. It is important to take these factors into account when using a radar gun for estimating future velocity.

4. How do scientists account for internal error when using a radar gun?

Internal error in a radar gun can be caused by factors such as electronic noise, calibration drift, or human error. To account for this, scientists use statistical methods to calculate the uncertainty in their measurements and report the range of possible values for the estimated velocity.

5. What are some other methods for estimating future velocity besides using a radar gun?

There are various methods for estimating future velocity, including using cameras and video analysis, GPS tracking, and mathematical models. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and scientists often use a combination of methods to obtain more accurate results.