Estimating the Effect of F-16 Engines on Earth's Rotational Speed

In summary, if a million F-16's were lined up and fired their engines simultaneously for 1/2 hour, the rotational speed of the Earth would increase by a small amount due to the applied torque and resulting angular acceleration. This can be calculated using the equations T=r*F*sin(angle) and T=I*alpha, where r is the Earth's radius, F is the thrust of each plane's engine, and alpha is the resulting angular acceleration. The final change in rotational speed can be found by multiplying alpha by the time (1/2 hour) and converting Earth's initial angular velocity to radians per second.
willworkforfood
"The mass of the Earth is about 6x10^24 kg and its radius is about 6x10^6 meters. Suppose you build a runway along the equator, line-up a million F-16's, bolt them down, and have them all fire their engines (eastward) simultaneously for 1/2 hour. Estimate the effect that would have on the rotational speed of the Earth. Assume the thrust of each plane's engines is 30,000 lbs = 133,000 Newtons."

I'm not even sure how to begin answering this question because I have no idea what it is asking for or what any equation is for "rotational speed". Is rotational speed the same thing as angular velocity? Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a sphere with an applied Torque (from your F-16's) giving an angular acceleration (or should that be deceleration ?)
What is the effect of this acceleration/deceleration after 1/2 hour.

rotational speed is, in effect, the angular velocity.

Last edited:
"rotational speed" is often used if you are talking about "rotations per minute" and so forth. "Angular velocity" (represented with the lower-case omega) should specifically be in radians per second. But they are the same concept.

Look up the moment of inertia for a solid uniform sphere rotating about its center (although the Earth is NOT so, I'm sure you don't need to do the calculus for the most accurate answer)

So I am basically using the equations

T=r*F*sin(angle)

and T=I*alpha

where r is radius F is force and alpha is angular acceleration to find the change in rotational speed/angular velocity, yes?

Yes, so far so good. The angle will be 90 degrees. After finding angular acceleration, find the change in angular velocity which is (alpha)t. Remember to change Earth's ang velocity to radians per second.

Related to Estimating the Effect of F-16 Engines on Earth's Rotational Speed

1. What is rotational speed?

Rotational speed, also known as angular velocity, is a measure of how fast an object is spinning or rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is rotational speed different from linear speed?

Rotational speed refers to the speed at which an object is rotating, while linear speed refers to the speed at which an object is moving in a straight line. Rotational speed is measured in terms of revolutions per unit of time, while linear speed is measured in terms of distance per unit of time.

3. What factors affect rotational speed?

The rotational speed of an object is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the object, the mass and distribution of the object's mass, and the force or torque applied to the object.

4. How is rotational speed measured?

Rotational speed can be measured using various instruments, such as tachometers, stroboscopes, or laser doppler vibrometers. These instruments measure the number of rotations per unit of time or the angular displacement of an object over a period of time.

5. Why is rotational speed important?

Rotational speed is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It helps determine the stability and efficiency of rotating objects, and is crucial in the design and operation of machines and devices that rely on rotational motion.