Ether before relativity in quantum theory also

In summary: This difference highlights the need for a more comprehensive theory like relativistic quantum mechanics.
jostpuur
I think this all makes sense to me, but I've never heard of this in lectures or in books, so I'll check if I'm getting this right.

In one dimension Galilean coordinate transformations are [tex]x'=x-ut[/tex] and [tex]t'=t[/tex]. Momentum transforms as [tex]p'=p-mu[/tex], and energy is [tex]E=p^2/(2m)[/tex]. With a quick calculation I get [tex]E't'-p'x'=Et-px-\frac{1}{2}mu^2t-mux[/tex]. So this means, that a wave plane solution [tex]\psi(t,x)=\exp(i(Et-px))[/tex] of the Shrodinger equation is not a solution in other inertial frames? In relativistic theory it goes better, as [tex]p_\mu x^\mu[/tex] is Lorentz invariant, and a solution of Klein-Gordon equation is always a solution also in other inertial frames.

So if I assume, that a wave function is real in the sense, that there truly is some complex number associated with each space time point, in non-relativistic theory I must assume an ether coordinate set? I think it somehow remarkable, that a Shrodinger equation is not Galilean invariant like the Klein-Gordon or Dirac equations are Lorentz invariant. :uhh:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. In non-relativistic quantum mechanics, the wave function is not invariant under Galilean coordinate transformations. This means that in different frames of reference, the same wave function will appear differently. For example, a wave packet traveling in one direction will appear to travel in the opposite direction when observed from a different frame of reference. Additionally, the energy of the system is not preserved under Galilean coordinate transformations, and so solutions of the Schrödinger equation must be redefined in order to remain valid in other frames of reference. In contrast, solutions of the Klein-Gordon and Dirac equations are Lorentz invariant and remain valid in different frames of reference without requiring redefinition.

Your understanding is correct. In non-relativistic quantum theory, the concept of an ether frame is necessary in order to maintain Galilean invariance. This means that the laws of physics must be the same in all inertial frames of reference. However, in relativistic quantum theory, the principle of Lorentz invariance is used instead, which allows for a more elegant and consistent formulation of the theory. The Schrodinger equation, being non-relativistic, is not Lorentz invariant and therefore does not hold true in all inertial frames. This is why the Klein-Gordon and Dirac equations, which are relativistic, are preferred in modern quantum theory.

1. What is the concept of "ether" in quantum theory?

In the early 20th century, scientists believed that there was an invisible substance called "ether" that filled the empty space in the universe. This theory was proposed to explain how light waves could travel through space as a wave, but also be able to act as particles. However, this concept was later disproven by Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How did the idea of "ether" fit into quantum theory before relativity?

Before Einstein's theory of relativity, the concept of "ether" was used to explain the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves. It was thought to be a medium through which these waves could travel, much like sound waves travel through air. However, with the discovery of relativity, the need for an "ether" to explain these phenomena was eliminated.

3. Did quantum theory rely on the existence of "ether" before relativity?

Yes, in the early days of quantum theory, the concept of "ether" was an integral part of explaining the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It was thought to be a necessary component for understanding the nature of light and other particles.

4. How did the discovery of relativity impact the concept of "ether" in quantum theory?

Einstein's theory of relativity showed that the concept of "ether" was unnecessary in explaining the behavior of light and other particles. It demonstrated that the laws of physics are the same in all frames of reference, and there is no need for a medium like "ether" to explain the behavior of waves.

5. Is the concept of "ether" still relevant in modern quantum theory?

No, the concept of "ether" has been largely abandoned in modern physics. It is no longer considered a necessary component in understanding the behavior of particles and waves. Instead, the laws of relativity and quantum mechanics are used to explain the behavior of the universe at a fundamental level.