Euclidean slices of constant r

In summary, the person is discussing the concept of topological bending, expansion or contraction of finite 3D space in the absence of at least a 4th spatial dimension. They say that in their opinion you can't have 3-dimensional objects such as 2-spheres in bidimensional space, but the person says it is obvious we can. They ask if someone can clarify this seemingly easy problem.
TrickyDicky
Hi, I was wondering if someone can set this right , I'm discussing this with another person that says that If (working in spherical coordinates) we make r constant in a Euclidean 3d space, in the resulting slice (phi-theta plane) we can define 2-spheres. I say that in my opinion you can't have 3-dimensional objects such as 2-spheres in bidimensional space, but he says it is obvious we can.
I would appreciate it if someone clarifies this seemingly easy problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I have very similar confusion, and it relates directly to the concept of topological bending, expansion or contraction of finite 3D space in the absence of at least a 4th spatial dimension.

The classic example offered is the balloon analogy, wherein the balloon expands - with all points diverging - but without a specific center from which expansion occurs. My objection to that analogy has always been that the center is "INSIDE" the balloon, not on it.

The good people in cosmology suggest that this is flawed thinking, and insist that the center of the balloon DOES NOT EXIST. They refer me to the topological concept of a 2D torus existing in three dimensions, in a universe that DOESN'T HAVE THREE DIMENSIONS!

It seems to me that this is an arbitrary set selection of dimensional space... simply defining a limited area of 3D space with 2D specificity. Can anyone please explain this in terms that I can understand?

Last edited:
To make the question more specific, I understand that intrinsic curvature doesn't need a higher dimension embedding to be computed and in this sense you only need 2 dimensions to have a curved surface, and this 2d surface could be spherical, and inhabitants of the 2d world could perceive this spherical curvature, what I'm saying is that without the 3d embedding, one can't discern , or observe 2-sphere objects, the maximum the 2d inhabitants can aspire to is to perceive they live in a spherical world. Is this reasoning right?

Can you specify what extra information they can discover if their world is embedded in 3 dimensions?

Office_Shredder said:
Can you specify what extra information they can discover if their world is embedded in 3 dimensions?

Well' I'd say they would be able to actually see and touch 3-d objects such as spheres, cubes and pyramids, while in their original 2d world they can conclude their world is spherical by doing certain measurements in their world, but of course they can only see circles, triangles, etc, they haven't really ever see a cube or a ball, etc so they could only try to imagine what they are like.
It is a similar situation in our 3d world, we can try and imagine what it would be like a 3-sphere(hypersphere) but we can't see them, they don't exist in our world, even if our universe turned out to be spherically curved, a hypersphere itself, since we can't see it from a higher spatial dimension.

Can you define a sphere in a sphere? Sure. You certainly can't embed a sphere in a plane.

For the question of "defining a sphere" the first step is realizing that the question is silly. You can define anything to be anything. The question is whether such a definition would make sense. Let's ask instead an easier question. How would you define a sphere in four dimensions? Five? The concept of a sphere certainly makes sense there.

zhentil said:
Can you define a sphere in a sphere? Sure. You certainly can't embed a sphere in a plane.

For the question of "defining a sphere" the first step is realizing that the question is silly. You can define anything to be anything. The question is whether such a definition would make sense. Let's ask instead an easier question. How would you define a sphere in four dimensions? Five? The concept of a sphere certainly makes sense there.

Yes, of course that "define" it is possible,it was possible a bad choice of words for the meaning I had in mind so I have made a distinction in the following posts of two different meanings of "defining" a 2-sphere and my question-confusion is solved.

1. What are Euclidean slices of constant r?

Euclidean slices of constant r are two-dimensional cross sections of a three-dimensional object taken at a fixed distance (r) from the origin. These slices are often used in geometry and physics to study the properties of objects in three-dimensional space.

2. How are Euclidean slices of constant r different from other types of cross sections?

Euclidean slices of constant r are different from other types of cross sections because they are taken at a fixed distance from the origin, rather than at a specific angle or along a specific plane. This makes them useful for studying the overall shape and structure of an object.

3. What is the significance of studying Euclidean slices of constant r?

Studying Euclidean slices of constant r can help us understand the three-dimensional structure of an object and its relationship to the origin. This can be useful in fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering.

4. Can Euclidean slices of constant r be applied to real-world objects?

Yes, Euclidean slices of constant r can be applied to real-world objects, such as buildings, bridges, and other structures. By studying the cross sections of these objects at a fixed distance from the origin, we can better understand their structural integrity and make improvements if needed.

5. How are Euclidean slices of constant r used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, Euclidean slices of constant r are used to create three-dimensional models of objects. By taking multiple slices at different distances from the origin, a complete three-dimensional representation of an object can be created. This is useful in creating realistic images and animations.