Converting EV to kg-m/s: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ev Unit
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding and converting between different units of measurement, specifically mass and energy expressed in MeV/c2 and momentum expressed in MeV/c. The formula for converting momentum to MeV/c is explained, using the conversion of Joules to MeV and the speed of light.
gnome
I'm having a hard time getting used to expressing quantities in electron-volt equivalent units.

Masses and energies expressed as MeV/c2 are confusing, but manageable.

But I seem to have a complete mental block over momentum as MeV/c. It's easy enough to look at a table & see that 1 MeV/c = 5.344 x 10-22 kg-m/s, but could someone please walk me (or drag me ) through the derivation of that conversion?

Physics news on Phys.org
The units of momentum are those of energy over speed.

(1 Joule/m/s)=(1 J*s/m)*(1eV/1.6*10-19J)*(3*108(m/s)/1c)

Cancel the units, crunch the numbers, and you'll have it.

Converting from electron-volt (eV) to kilogram-meter per second (kg-m/s) can be confusing at first, but with a step-by-step guide, it can become easier to understand. Let's break down the process together.

Step 1: Understand the Units

First, it's important to understand the units we are working with. Electron-volt (eV) is a unit of energy, while kilogram-meter per second (kg-m/s) is a unit of momentum. Momentum is defined as the product of mass and velocity, so it can be expressed as kg-m/s.

Step 2: Use the Equation E=mc^2

The equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light, is a fundamental equation in physics. This equation tells us that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other.

Step 3: Convert from eV to Joules

Since we know that 1 eV is equal to 1.602 x 10^-19 Joules, we can convert eV to Joules by multiplying the given value by 1.602 x 10^-19.

Step 4: Use the Equation p=E/c

The equation p=E/c, where p is momentum, E is energy, and c is the speed of light, tells us that momentum is equal to energy divided by the speed of light. This equation is derived from the equation for kinetic energy, which is 1/2mv^2, where m is mass and v is velocity.

Step 5: Plug in the Values

Now, we can plug in the values we have and solve for momentum. Let's say we have an energy of 1 MeV (1 million eV). We first convert this to Joules by multiplying by 1.602 x 10^-19 to get 1.602 x 10^-13 Joules. Then, we divide by the speed of light, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s. This gives us a momentum of 5.344 x 10^-22 kg-m/s.

Step 6: Practice and Familiarize Yourself

The more you practice converting from eV to kg-m/s, the more comfortable you will become with the process. It may also be helpful to create a conversion chart or use online calculators to check your work.

In conclusion, converting

1. What is the formula for converting EV to kg-m/s?

The formula for converting EV (electron volts) to kg-m/s (kilogram-meter per second) is: 1 EV = 1.602176634 × 10^-19 kg-m/s. This means that to convert from EV to kg-m/s, you simply multiply the value in EV by 1.602176634 × 10^-19.

2. Why would I need to convert from EV to kg-m/s?

EV is a unit of energy commonly used in particle physics, while kg-m/s is a unit of momentum. Converting between these units is necessary for certain calculations, such as determining the velocity of a particle based on its energy.

3. Can I use a calculator to convert EV to kg-m/s?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert between EV and kg-m/s. Simply enter the value in EV and multiply it by 1.602176634 × 10^-19 to get the equivalent value in kg-m/s.

4. Do I need to convert EV to joules before converting to kg-m/s?

No, you do not need to convert EV to joules before converting to kg-m/s. Both EV and joules are units of energy, so the conversion between them is 1 EV = 1.602176634 × 10^-19 joules. However, if you are working with other units of energy, such as kilojoules, you may need to convert to joules first before converting to kg-m/s.

5. Is there a simpler way to remember the conversion between EV and kg-m/s?

One way to remember the conversion between EV and kg-m/s is to think of it as moving the decimal point 19 places to the left. For example, if you have 100 EV, you would move the decimal point 19 places to the left to get 1.602176634 × 10^-17 kg-m/s. This can also be written as 0.00000000000000001602176634 kg-m/s.