1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate a simple double integral

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    Evaluate a "simple" double integral

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the double integral of f(x,y) = square root (1 - x^2 - y^2) over the disk centred at the origin of radius 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the disc of radius one has boundaries x^2 + y^2 = 1
    i am integrating it in the order dydx
    the disk is bound above by y = root (1 - x^2) and below by y = -root (1 - x^2)

So the inner part of the double integral would be
    Integral from -root (1-x^2) to root (1-x^2) of root (1 - x^2 - y^2) dy

in a list of integrals i found that if you have an integral in the form root (a^2 - u^2), the antiderivative is u/2 * root (a^2 - u^2) + a^2/2 * sin^-1 (u/a)

so if i set a^2 = 1-x^2 and u^2 = y^2, my integral has exactly this form, so the solution should be
    root(1-x^2)/ 2 * root (1 - x^2 - (1 - x^2)) + (1-x^2)/2 * sin^-1 (root (1-x^2)/ root (1-x^2) - [ (-root(1-x^2) / x * (root (1 - x^2 - (1 - x^2)) + (1-x^2)/2 * sin ^-1 (-root(1-x^2) / root (1-x^2)

Which simplifies pretty cleanly to

(1-x^2) / 2 * (sin^-1 (1) - sin^-1 (-1)

= (1-x^2)/2 * (-Pi)
    = -Pi/2 + Pix^2/2

Now for the outer integral, i have to integrate this from x = -1 to x = 1

and I get
    Integral of -Pi/2 + Pix^2/2 = -Pi x/2 + Pi x^3 /6
    evaluating this from -1 to 1 i get
    - Pi / 2 + Pi/6 - (Pi / 2 - Pi / 6) = -2Pi / 3

But this gives me a negative value and I thought that the integral should be positive since it is essentally calculating the volume below the curve z = root (1 - x^2 - y^2)...and that function is positive for the entire disk of radius 1 , so i dont see why i am getting a negative number...what in the world is going on :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2
    Re: Evaluate a "simple" double integral

Using polar coordinates from the start will simplify the question

4. Jul 7, 2009 #3
    Re: Evaluate a "simple" double integral

Yeah but we have not yet learned polar coordinates :) so I have no idea how to use them

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook