1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Improper Integrals

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Test for convergence:
    b. [tex]\int_0^\infty{e^{-x^2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Any method you choose to approach the problem in order to test for convergence.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I attempted to integrate the problem. However, I am not exactly sure how to approach such integration. I would appreciate some hints as to how to approach this. It would help me in continuing to solve this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2
    When doing improper integrals, replace the infinity with a variable, A for example. Then proceed through the integral while taking the limit as A approaches infinity. If any part of the process yields an answer of infinity, the integral is divergent.

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    Yes, I realize what you say, so:

lim (b-> [tex]\infty[/tex]) [tex]\int_0^b{e^{-x^2}}[/tex]

I realize that [tex]e^\infty[/tex] is infinity, therefore, making it divergent. However, that's wrong because I have to integrate it first. Hence my question, how would I approach integrating [tex]{e^{-x^2}}[/tex]

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not very helpful because there no elementary antiderivative for e^(-x^2). You want to do a comparison test with something you can integrate. For example, if x>1 which is larger, e^(-x) or e^(-x^2)?

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5
    Hmm, a comparison test does seem interesting. So lets try this out.
    Let [tex]f(x)=e^{-x^2}[/tex]
    and Let[tex] g(x)=e^{-x}[/tex]
    Where [tex]0\leq{f(x)}\leq{g(x)}[/tex]

Given the comparison test, if g(x) is convergent, we can assume that f(x) is also convergent.

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_0^b{e^{-x}}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[-e^{-x}]\stackrel{b}{0}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[-e^{-b} + 1][/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[-e^{-\infty} + 1][/tex]

Errr. The answer I am getting is that g(x) is divergent. I can draw no conclusion from this.

Ohh no wait!

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[1/-e^{\infty} + 1][/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[1/{\infty} + 1][/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[0 + 1][/tex]

CONVERGENT!

:) Thanks Dick & W3390, for quick responses and help.

7. Feb 12, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Err. e^(-infinity) is zero. Isn't it? I.e. limit b->infinity e^(-b)=0. g(x) is NOT divergent. And f(x)<=g(x) only for x>=1. Why don't you have to worry about 0<=x<1? It's good to think about these things.

8. Feb 12, 2009 #7
    Yeah, It is, I figured it out as you can see haha. However, the f(x) <= g(x) is only for x>=1, we don't worry about x=0 -> x<1 because.. hmm, I'm honestly not sure.

9. Feb 13, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're pretty sharp. I'll give you two minutes to figure it out and then I'm off to bed. Hint: you know the integral of f(x) converges in [1,infinity) now. Why it converges over [0,1] is even easier.

10. Feb 13, 2009 #9
    Ok lets just solve this real quickly.

See if f(x) converges from 0->1.

Using the same, if g(x) converges, we'd be using the same steps, except from 0 to 1 now. This would give you

-1/e + 1. Given that they are all constants (its approaching a value), we know it converges.

I know this is probably not the theoretical answer you are seeking, I just seem to be missing something.

11. Feb 13, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nah, simpler than that. 0<=f(x)<=1 for x in [0,1]. For x>1 compare with g(x)=exp(-x). For x<1 just compare with g(x)=1. Sorry, I rushed you. I know you would have figured it out.

12. Feb 13, 2009 #11
    Not a problem. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook