Convergence Test for Improper Integral with e^-x^2 Function

• Thread starter matadorqk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, Dick explained how to test for convergence of an equation and W3390 told Dick about a comparison test. Then Dick solved the equation and it converged.
matadorqk

Homework Statement

Test for convergence:
b. [tex]\int_0^\infty{e^{-x^2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Any method you choose to approach the problem in order to test for convergence.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I attempted to integrate the problem. However, I am not exactly sure how to approach such integration. I would appreciate some hints as to how to approach this. It would help me in continuing to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
When doing improper integrals, replace the infinity with a variable, A for example. Then proceed through the integral while taking the limit as A approaches infinity. If any part of the process yields an answer of infinity, the integral is divergent.

w3390 said:
When doing improper integrals, replace the infinity with a variable, A for example. Then proceed through the integral while taking the limit as A approaches infinity. If any part of the process yields an answer of infinity, the integral is divergent.

Yes, I realize what you say, so:

lim (b-> [tex]\infty[/tex]) [tex]\int_0^b{e^{-x^2}}[/tex]

I realize that [tex]e^\infty[/tex] is infinity, therefore, making it divergent. However, that's wrong because I have to integrate it first. Hence my question, how would I approach integrating [tex]{e^{-x^2}}[/tex]

w3390 said:

That's not very helpful because there no elementary antiderivative for e^(-x^2). You want to do a comparison test with something you can integrate. For example, if x>1 which is larger, e^(-x) or e^(-x^2)?

Dick said:
That's not very helpful because there no elementary antiderivative for e^(-x^2). You want to do a comparison test with something you can integrate. For example, if x>1 which is larger, e^(-x) or e^(-x^2)?

Hmm, a comparison test does seem interesting. So let's try this out.
Let [tex]f(x)=e^{-x^2}[/tex]
and Let[tex] g(x)=e^{-x}[/tex]
Where [tex]0\leq{f(x)}\leq{g(x)}[/tex]

Given the comparison test, if g(x) is convergent, we can assume that f(x) is also convergent.

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_0^b{e^{-x}}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[-e^{-x}]\stackrel{b}{0}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[-e^{-b} + 1][/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[-e^{-\infty} + 1][/tex]

Errr. The answer I am getting is that g(x) is divergent. I can draw no conclusion from this.

Ohh no wait!

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[1/-e^{\infty} + 1][/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[1/{\infty} + 1][/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{b\rightarrow\infty}[0 + 1][/tex]

CONVERGENT!

:) Thanks Dick & W3390, for quick responses and help.

Err. e^(-infinity) is zero. Isn't it? I.e. limit b->infinity e^(-b)=0. g(x) is NOT divergent. And f(x)<=g(x) only for x>=1. Why don't you have to worry about 0<=x<1? It's good to think about these things.

Dick said:
Err. e^(-infinity) is zero. Isn't it? I.e. limit b->infinity e^(-b)=0. g(x) is NOT divergent. And f(x)<=g(x) only for x>=1. Why don't you have to worry about 0<=x<1? It's good to think about these things.

Yeah, It is, I figured it out as you can see haha. However, the f(x) <= g(x) is only for x>=1, we don't worry about x=0 -> x<1 because.. hmm, I'm honestly not sure.

You're pretty sharp. I'll give you two minutes to figure it out and then I'm off to bed. Hint: you know the integral of f(x) converges in [1,infinity) now. Why it converges over [0,1] is even easier.

Dick said:
You're pretty sharp. I'll give you two minutes to figure it out and then I'm off to bed. Hint: you know the integral of f(x) converges in [1,infinity) now. Why it converges over [0,1] is even easier.

Ok let's just solve this real quickly.

See if f(x) converges from 0->1.

Using the same, if g(x) converges, we'd be using the same steps, except from 0 to 1 now. This would give you

-1/e + 1. Given that they are all constants (its approaching a value), we know it converges.

I know this is probably not the theoretical answer you are seeking, I just seem to be missing something.

Nah, simpler than that. 0<=f(x)<=1 for x in [0,1]. For x>1 compare with g(x)=exp(-x). For x<1 just compare with g(x)=1. Sorry, I rushed you. I know you would have figured it out.

Dick said:
Nah, simpler than that. 0<=f(x)<=1 for x in [0,1]. For x>1 compare with g(x)=exp(-x). For x<1 just compare with g(x)=1. Sorry, I rushed you. I know you would have figured it out.

Not a problem. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Related to Convergence Test for Improper Integral with e^-x^2 Function

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have a finite value because either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite or the integrand has a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration.

2. How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, you can use a variety of techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to evaluate the integral. If it is divergent, you must use a limit of integration to determine the value of the integral.

3. What is the difference between a type 1 and type 2 improper integral?

A type 1 improper integral has one or both limits of integration as infinite, while a type 2 improper integral has a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration. Type 1 integrals can be evaluated using a limit of integration, while type 2 integrals require a different approach such as breaking the integral into smaller pieces.

4. Can improper integrals have discontinuities?

Yes, improper integrals can have discontinuities within their interval of integration. This is common in type 2 integrals where the integrand has a vertical asymptote.

5. How do you know if an improper integral is convergent or divergent?

An improper integral is convergent if the limit of integration exists and has a finite value. It is divergent if the limit of integration does not exist or has an infinite value. In some cases, you may need to use a comparison test or a limit comparison test to determine the convergence or divergence of an integral.