Evaluating, Integral |f(x)|dx?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of integral |f(x)|dx in standard mathematical functions and evaluates integral |x-2|dx to be 2 - [(x-2)^2sgn(2-x)]/2. The use of the signum function and the arbitrary placement of '2' and '-' are also mentioned.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

ok so apparently there's no way to express
integral |f(x)|dx
in standard mathematical functions... which I don't exactly buy...
but you the issue came up when I was trying to evaluate
integral |x - 2|dx
and apparently this is correct
integral |x-2|dx = 2 - [(x-2)^2sgn(2-x)]/2
now I'm not saying that it's wrong or anything I'm just carious as to why it's correct and if somebody could show me how one would get to that without a calculator and done by hand somehow... any help would be great... if you don't know the signum function, sgn(x), is defined as sgn(x) = x/|x| = e^(i arg(x)) = x/SQRT(x^2)
were arg(x) is the complex argument function

THANKS!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
well I understand what this term is
[(x-2)^2sgn(2-x)]/2
but I don't why we do 2 - this term?

I'm also a tad bit confused as why it's
sgn(2-x) and not sgn(x-2)?

GreenPrint said:
well I understand what this term is
[(x-2)^2sgn(2-x)]/2
but I don't why we do 2 - this term?

The '2' is irrelevant. It's part of the '+C' when you integrate. You can change it to '3' if you want. It doesn't make any difference. It's sgn(2-x) because they also arbitrarily put a '-' in front of the (x-2)^2/2. Try working out the integral of |t| from 0 to x, using that |t|=t if t>0 and |t|=(-t) if t<0. If you get that then just change t to t-2. It's a strange way to express the answer in several ways.

FAQ: Evaluating, Integral |f(x)|dx?

1. What is the purpose of evaluating the integral of the absolute value of a function?

Evaluating the integral of the absolute value of a function helps to find the total area under the curve of the function. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the work done by a variable force or finding the displacement of an object with changing velocity.

2. How do you evaluate the integral of |f(x)|dx?

To evaluate the integral of |f(x)|dx, first identify the intervals where the function is positive and negative. Then, split the integral into separate integrals for each interval and use the appropriate rules for integration, such as the power rule or substitution. Finally, add the results of each integral together to get the total area under the curve.

3. Can the absolute value function be integrated directly?

No, the absolute value function cannot be integrated directly. It must be split into separate intervals and integrated accordingly as described in the previous answer.

4. Are there any special cases when evaluating the integral of |f(x)|dx?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when evaluating the integral of |f(x)|dx. The first is when the function is symmetric about the y-axis, in which case the integral can be simplified to just the positive interval. The second is when the function has a vertical asymptote, in which case the integral will diverge.

5. What are some real-world applications of evaluating the integral of |f(x)|dx?

There are many real-world applications of evaluating the integral of |f(x)|dx, such as calculating the total distance traveled by an object with varying speed, finding the average value of a function over a certain interval, or determining the total amount of work done by a variable force. It is also used in economics to calculate the total revenue or profit of a company.