Evaluating limit limit of multivariable function

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of the function $\frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}$ as $(x,y)$ approaches $(0,0)$. It is found that the limit exists and is equal to 0 when approaching from both the x-axis and the y-axis. However, when using L'Hopital's rule, the limit evaluates to infinity, indicating that the limit does not exist in that case. This is due to the L'Hopital's rule theorem not holding for the function $1/x$.
tmt1
I have

$$\lim_{{(x, y)}\to{(0, 0)}} \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}$$

We can approach the limit on the x-axis, so the values of $x$ will change and the values of $y$ will stay :

$$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{x}{x^2}$$

I suppose I can take hospital's rule and get

$$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{1}{2x}$$

and

$$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{0}{2}$$

so the limit is 0.

Then we can approach the limit on the y-axis, so the values of $y$ will change and the values of $x$ will change.

$$\lim_{{y}\to{0}} \frac{0}{0 + y^2}$$

Which is 0. Because no matter what the value of y, the result will be zero.

Therefore, the limit of the function exists and it is 0.

However, in the text it says that the limit of this function does not exist.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I suppose I can take hospital's rule and get

$$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{1}{2x}$$

and

$$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{0}{2}$$

so the limit is 0.
What? Do you have to use L'Hopital's rule?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What? Do you have to use L'Hopital's rule?

Ah yes, you're right, the limit actually evaluates to infinity if I don't use L'Hopital's rule.

So, I suppose that means the limit doesn't exist in that case.

It's instructive to find the condition of the L'Hopital's rule theorem that does not hold for $1/x$.

Related to Evaluating limit limit of multivariable function

1. What is a limit of a multivariable function?

A limit of a multivariable function is the value that a function approaches as the input variables approach a certain point. It represents the behavior of the function near that point.

2. How is the limit of a multivariable function evaluated?

The limit of a multivariable function can be evaluated by approaching the point of interest along different paths and observing the output values. If the output values approach the same value regardless of the path taken, then that value is the limit of the function.

3. What is the significance of evaluating the limit of a multivariable function?

Evaluating the limit of a multivariable function helps us understand the behavior of the function near a particular point. It can also help us determine if the function is continuous at that point, which has important implications in calculus and real-world applications.

4. Can the limit of a multivariable function exist but not be equal to the value of the function at that point?

Yes, it is possible for the limit of a multivariable function to exist but not be equal to the value of the function at that point. This occurs when the function is not continuous at that point, meaning there is a discontinuity or jump in the function's behavior.

5. Are there any special techniques for evaluating the limit of a multivariable function?

Yes, there are special techniques such as using polar coordinates or converting the function into a one-variable function by setting one of the variables as a constant. These techniques can make it easier to evaluate the limit and can also reveal important information about the function's behavior near the point of interest.