Evaluate lim h->0: Solving Absolute Value Homework

• Thread starter bcaie16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the limit h->0 (f(4+h)-f(4))/h can be solved by using the definition of a derivative for absolute value functions or by splitting the function into two parts and evaluating the limit using the piecewise function approach.
bcaie16

Homework Statement

Evaluate lim h->0 (f(4+h)-f(4))/h
given f(x)=|x-4|-4

2. The attempt at a solution
Not too sure how to do this with absolute values, I've tried just subbing in small values for h, which gave me -1, but as this is an online question for marks, I am not too sure. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on where you are in your calculus, you may realize that this is the limit definition of a derivative. If so, the formula for the derivative of an absolute value is as follows:

[itex]f'(x) = \frac{x}{|x|}*x'[/itex]

Then use u-substitution to solve this derivative.

However, if you do not know about derivatives, there is a little more work involved. You have to split your function into two parts:

[itex] f(x) = -4*|x-4|[/itex]

[itex]-> g(x) = -4*(x-4)[/itex] and [itex]-4*(4-x)[/itex]

This is done with rules you should have learned in earlier math classes about working with absolute value functions. At this point, you will then evaluate your same limit, this time using g(x), but do note that you will have to change f(4+h) to g(h-4) and f(4) to g(-4) when doing the second part of the piecewise function.

1. What is the purpose of finding the limit in absolute value homework?

The purpose of finding the limit in absolute value homework is to determine the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value. This helps to understand the overall behavior and properties of the function.

2. How do I approach solving absolute value homework?

To solve absolute value homework, you must first rewrite the absolute value expression as a piecewise function and then find the limit for each piece. You can then evaluate the limit by plugging in the specific value that the function is approaching.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving absolute value homework?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving absolute value homework include forgetting to rewrite the expression as a piecewise function, not considering the behavior of the function on both sides of the absolute value sign, and not checking for any restrictions on the variable.

4. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for solving absolute value homework?

Some helpful strategies for solving absolute value homework include graphing the function to visualize its behavior, breaking the expression into simpler pieces, and using algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression before taking the limit.

5. How can I check if my answer for evaluating the limit in absolute value homework is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging the specific value into the original absolute value expression and seeing if it matches the result you obtained for the limit. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to visualize the function and confirm the behavior at the specific value.