How can I calculate the electric field using the voltage and gradient?

In summary, the speaker listed their problems in a file and has figured out the variable "V" for a certain condition. However, they are unsure how to use the equation "E= -delV" in a specific example. They also mentioned not having a file and suggested typing out the question and attempt on a homework template for easier understanding.
abcdefg10645
I listed all my problem in the file below

I have figure out the V of that condition,

but I do not know how to use E= -delV at this eg.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi abcdefg10645! :smile:
abcdefg10645 said:
I listed all my problem in the file below

I have figure out the V of that condition,

but I do not know how to use E= -delV at this eg.

erm … there is no file :redface:

but anyway it would be a lot easier for us if you would take the time to type out your question and your attempt for us (on the homework template, of course) :wink:

I would first like to commend you on your progress in finding the voltage (V) in the given condition. However, in order to calculate the electric field (E), we can use the relationship E= -delV. This equation represents the negative gradient of the voltage, which is the change in voltage over a certain distance. Therefore, we can use this equation to find the electric field at a specific point by taking the negative of the change in voltage over a small distance. I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and calculating the change in voltage at each point to determine the electric field at that point. Additionally, you can also use the concept of electric potential energy to further analyze the electric field in the given condition. Keep in mind that the electric field is a vector quantity, so it has both magnitude and direction. I hope this helps you in your evaluation of the electric field.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to explain the behavior of electrically charged objects.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge placed at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This is known as Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges.

3. What is the unit of electric field?

The standard unit of electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). However, it can also be expressed in volts per meter (V/m) as electric field is closely related to voltage and distance.

4. How is the direction of the electric field determined?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed at that point. The direction is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. Why is it important to evaluate the electric field?

Evaluating the electric field is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles and their interactions. It is also used in practical applications such as designing electrical circuits and determining the strength of electric fields in various materials.