Exact constraint in practice -- Pinned joint with 2 DOF

In summary, this design issue is encountered when trying to couple a rotating object (with three axes of freedom) to a stationary object (with only one axis of freedom). The symmetry of the coupling makes it difficult to constrain rotation about the x and y axes without causing commutator problems. A more simplistic way to solve this problem is to fix a part to the rotating object with a tab, and then use the fixed hinge or bearing to reduce the number of moving parts required.
jasc15
I've come across this design issue several times, and don't know of any solution in industry. The basic assembly is this:

A spherical bearing is fitted to a threaded rod end with a nut to clamp the ball to the rod end. The design intent is to allow angular displacement about the two axes perpendicular to the rod axis (X and Y in the figure), but to constrain rotation about the axis parallel to the rod axis (Z in the figure), as well as constrain translation in all three linear axes. Essentially the constraint provided by a gimbal assembly, or an automotive CV joint, but in a more compact and lower parts-count unit. A splined ball also comes to mind.

In the past, we have simply restrained rotation about the rod axis by fixing a part to the rod with a tab which is bolted to the spherical ball bearing housing. However, the compliance I am seeking requires this tab to twist and bend, which is not ideal.

More simply, referring to the figure, I want the following types of motion allowed:

NO
NO
NO
YES
YES
NO

Bearings1-4-27.jpg

Thanks.

Attachments

• Bearings1-4-27.jpg
    Bearings1-4-27.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,191
Physics news on Phys.org
From my physics background I consider the symmetry of the coupling in question. The ball has full 3-rotation symmetry. The problem is that rotations about the x and y axes do not commute. Their commutator will be a component of z-rotation. (You can see this on google Earth by rotating the planet by moving your mouse around in a circle on the screen... seriously try it now.)

You're not going to get the two degree of freedom constraint from two moving parts alone. With two parts you either have the 1 axis rotation group, the 3 axis rotation group or one of these plus a translation (via a slider).

So you will need a minimum of 3 parts, A rotating 1-dimensionally w.r.t. B and B rotating 1 dimensionally w.r.t. C to get the type of constraint you're looking for. Hence a classic universal joint or more the more clunky three boards connected by two hinges.

You can attempt some more clever 3 part or more assemblies but you won't reduce things below 3 moving parts.

In a more generic setting the group of transformations between a pair of parts is the Euclidean group. 6 degrees of freedom, 3 rotations and 3 translations. Any constraint on this group will yield a subgroup.
[tex]\mathbf{E}^3 = SO(3)\ltimes T^3[/tex]
Note that rotations will also rotate the direction of translation but in the mechanics setting we can decouple these and consider. The only non-trivial proper (Lie) subgroup of the 3-rotation group are the 1 parameter ##SO(2)## rotating in a given plane, and then, or course translations in only 2, in 1 or in no directions.

You thereby see you basic connectors.
  • A free object (relative to a second object we consider "fixed" for the moment) has the full 6 degrees of freedom.
  • A ball in a slot maintains the 3 rotation degrees of freedom (DOF) but constrained to only 1 translational DOF.
  • A hinge in a slot (or headed bolt in a slot) reduces to 1 rotation and maintains 1 translation DOF.
  • A ball in socket keeps 3 rotation DOFs but constrains all translation.
  • A fixed hinge or bearing allows only 1 rotation DOF.
  • A keyed slot allows only 1 translational DOF.
  • You can get 2 translational degrees of freedom (limited) with an additional 1 rotational DOF by using a sliding plate. (Weld two plates together with a spacer and cut a large hole in them. Place a smaller plate between them and weld a rod to it at a right angle through the large hole. Grease it up well and the plate can slide in 2 directions until the rod hits the side of the hole, and the plate can be rotated about the axis of the (perpendicular) rod.) Basically this is ##\mathbf{E}^2## the group of Euclidian motion in the 2 plane.
There may be one or two other mechanisms that allow 2 translational degrees of freedom that escape my imagination but I can't think of any that do not add to the number of parts. But with more than 2 parts you can independently constrain any translational degree of freedom as well as construct more complex curved constraints.

How about a machined groove (or multiple grooves) in the ball parallel to the Z-axis? Then all you need are matching features in the socket and you've constrained rotation about Z, but still have two rotational degrees of freedom about X and Y.

jambaugh, thanks for your thorough response, though the math is beyond my understanding. It seems to be a generalization of the equations used to find if a structure is statically determinate or indeterminate and to determine the number of degrees of freedom given number of members and number of joints.

Mech_Engineer, that's what I meant when I referred to a splined ball, or a CV joint. More directly though, I am looking for some already-engineered product that I can use, or perhaps some assembly of a minimum number of pre-engineered products. Our area of expertise is engineering the thing being mounted, not the mount itself, so it wouldn't be effective to spend our engineering resources reinventing a wheel that may already exist.

A universal joint would do the job?

Likes Mech_Engineer
RNickl said:
A universal joint would do the job?

I agree, a mounted u-joint would be a good option for this as well. U-joints are also relatively easy to implement in many sizes.

1. What is an exact constraint in a pinned joint?

An exact constraint in a pinned joint refers to the ability of the joint to restrict the motion of connected parts to only two degrees of freedom (DOF). This means that the parts can only move in two specific directions, typically rotation and translation, while remaining fixed in all other directions.

2. How is an exact constraint achieved in a pinned joint?

An exact constraint in a pinned joint is achieved through the use of a pin or hinge that connects the two parts together. This pin allows for rotation and translation, while preventing any other type of movement between the parts.

3. What are the advantages of using an exact constraint in a pinned joint?

The main advantage of using an exact constraint in a pinned joint is the stability and predictability it provides. By limiting the DOF to two, it ensures that the connected parts will remain in a fixed position, making it easier to control and analyze the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using an exact constraint in a pinned joint?

Yes, there are limitations to using an exact constraint in a pinned joint. One limitation is that it can only be applied to systems with two or fewer DOF. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems that require more flexibility or freedom of movement.

5. How is the concept of an exact constraint in a pinned joint applied in real-world situations?

The concept of an exact constraint in a pinned joint is commonly applied in mechanical engineering, particularly in the design of machines and structures. It is also used in robotics and other fields where precise control and stability are necessary.