Exact value of sin 345.5°

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin Value
I think the general description is that you can get to multiples of 2^k degrees if you can construct 2^(k+1)th roots of unity. And that you can get to multiples of 2^k q degrees if you can construct 2^(k+1)qth roots of unity, and you can get to a multiple of q degrees if you can construct an nth root of unity for each n dividing q. So if you can construct all odd nth roots of unity then you can get to degrees which are multiples of all odd numbers up to some limit. That's not every odd number, but it's quite a few. For example 1,3,5,7,9
songoku

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of sin 345.5o

Homework Equations

Trigonometry Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to start.

Tried sin 345.5o = - sin 14.5o but stuck. Also tried multiply 345.5 with positive integer to get sin 2θ or sin 3θ or sin 4θ but also stuck

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of sin 345.5o

Homework Equations

Trigonometry Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to start.

Tried sin 345.5o = - sin 14.5o but stuck. Also tried multiply 345.5 with positive integer to get sin 2θ or sin 3θ or sin 4θ but also stuck

Thanks

You should definitely start with 2*345.5 = 691. Now try to reduce 691 to an angle < 90 degrees, by subtracting suitable multiples of 180 or 90.

Likes songoku
Sorry for taking long time to reply

sin 691 = sin 331 = - sin 29.

You mean finding sin 29 through the link you gave in other thread and using double angle formula?

Thanks

This is impossible. You can't get an exact value of the sign for any angle in degrees that's not divisible by 3. You won't ever get rid of the factor 3 by halving/doubling adding or subtracting angles.

willem2 said:
This is impossible. You can't get an exact value of the sign for any angle in degrees that's not divisible by 3. You won't ever get rid of the factor 3 by halving/doubling adding or subtracting angles.
I think you mean sine. The trig function is called the 'sine'.

willem2 said:

No, that is incorrect. A paper giving exact algebraic formulas for the sine of all angles from 1 to 90 degrees, in 1 degree increments, has been published on-line (with proofs included). It was done as a retirement project by an ex-professor of mathematics; for a precise citation, see one of my responses in the previous thread by user 'songoku' on a related topic.

Note added in edit: I see that BvU has already dealt with this issue, in a post that appeared on my screen only after I pressed the 'enter' key.

BvU said:
To go further, I believe it should be possible to find an exact representation of cos(pi/n) only involving square roots if and only if there exists a ruler and compass construction for a regular n-sided polygon. As is well known, that is possible whenever n is the product of a power of 2 and distinct Fermat primes. That is enough to get all multiples of 1 degree as well as pi/17 etc.

But if we allow other surds then there are more possibilities. Since cos(nx) can be expanded as an nth order polynomial in cos(x), and cos(x)=-cos(pi-x), we can expand cos(4pi/7)=-cos(3pi/7) to obtain a quartic in cos(pi/7).
I feel there should be a generalization of the Fermat primes that corresponds to roots up to cubic and quartic, but I'm not aware of such.

°
haruspex said:
To go further, I believe it should be possible to find an exact representation of cos(pi/n) only involving square roots if and only if there exists a ruler and compass construction for a regular n-sided polygon. As is well known, that is possible whenever n is the product of a power of 2 and distinct Fermat primes. That is enough to get all multiples of 1 degree as well as pi/17 etc.
Doesn't that only get you down to multiples of 3° ?

SammyS said:
°

Doesn't that only get you down to multiples of 3° ?
Sorry, yes, 3°. To get to 1° you need to use the cos(3x) expansion or similar, so does involve cube roots.

1. What is the exact value of sin 345.5°?

The exact value of sin 345.5° is approximately -0.766.

2. How do you calculate the exact value of sin 345.5°?

The exact value of sin 345.5° can be calculated using a scientific calculator or by using the trigonometric identity sin(θ + 360°) = sin(θ). In this case, sin 345.5° can be rewritten as sin (345.5° + 360°) = sin 705.5°. Since the sine function has a period of 360°, sin 705.5° is equivalent to sin 345.5°. Therefore, the exact value remains the same, which is approximately -0.766.

3. Is there a way to simplify the exact value of sin 345.5°?

No, the exact value of sin 345.5° cannot be simplified further since it is already in its simplest form. It is a decimal approximation of a irrational number, which means it cannot be expressed as a fraction or whole number.

4. Can you find the exact value of sin 345.5° without using a calculator?

Yes, the exact value of sin 345.5° can be determined using a trigonometric table or by using trigonometric identities and properties, such as the double angle identity and the sum and difference identities.

5. What is the relationship between sin 345.5° and other trigonometric functions?

Sin 345.5° is the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle with an angle of 345.5°. It is also the negative value of cos 345.5° and the reciprocal of csc 345.5°. Additionally, it is related to other trigonometric functions such as tan 345.5° and cot 345.5° through their respective identities.