Exam Problem: Rounds per minute into Megabits per second

• Thread starter Ramses The Pharaoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Per
In summary, the person is seeking urgent help with an exam problem that involves converting between rounds per minute and megabits per second. They do not know the formula for conversion and are asking for clues or tips. One person suggests finding out how many bits can be read in one revolution and then multiplying it by the revolutions per minute. The problem is assumed to be more complicated than simple arithmetic and the person is unsure of how to combine the variables of radius, angular velocity, and time to read one bit in order to solve the problem.
Ramses The Pharaoh
Hi, guys! :approve:
My exam comes in one week, so I need your urgent help :cry:
I found out, that one of the problems in the exam will be about convertion between rounds per minute (of a CD or HDD) and megabits per second (as reading speed). I have no idea what is the dependence between those two measures. :confused: Does anyone of you know a formula for convertion or have any clues how to derive such a formula... Help?!
Greatly appreciate your concern :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need to find out how many megabits can be read in one revolution. Then it should be pretty easy, but without that information, I have a feeling this problem is impossible.

OK, if the question asks about how many megabits are read in one revolution, you say that "it should be pretty easy". Still, it is very foggy for me :-). Perhaps you could provide a small tip? ;)

No, that's not what he said. he said you need to know how many bits can be read in one revolution. I presume that by "rounds per minute" you mean "revolutions per minute". Multiply that by "bytes read per revolution".

Hehe... nice point of view! :rofl:
However, this, being an exam problem, is assumed to be a little bit more complicated than simple arithmetics. :rolleyes:
I think it is enough to know the radius, the angular velocity (or frequency) and the time to read one bit (or distance b/n bits)... Once having these variables, how should I combine the megabits and the revolutions?! :confused: This is my problem
Thanks for your answers :shy:

1. How do I convert rounds per minute (RPM) into megabits per second (Mbps)?

To convert RPM to Mbps, you will need to know the size of the data packet in bits and the time it takes to transmit one packet. First, divide the packet size by the time in minutes to get bits per minute. Then, multiply that number by 60 to get bits per hour. Finally, divide that number by 1,000,000 to get Mbps.

2. What is the equation for converting RPM to Mbps?

The equation for converting RPM to Mbps is: Mbps = (packet size / time in minutes) * 60 / 1,000,000

3. Can I use this conversion for any type of data transmission?

Yes, you can use this conversion for any type of data transmission as long as you have the packet size and the time it takes to transmit one packet in minutes.

4. Is there a faster way to convert RPM to Mbps?

There is no faster way to convert RPM to Mbps, as it depends on the size of the data packet and the time it takes to transmit one packet. However, you can use online converters or calculators to make the process easier.

5. Can I use this conversion to compare different data transmission speeds?

Yes, you can use this conversion to compare different data transmission speeds. It will give you a standard unit of measurement (Mbps) to compare the speeds of different data transmissions regardless of the size of the data packets.