1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exam question

1. Jun 10, 2005 #1
    Well yesterday it was my physics paper(o'levels) . There was a question there which asked what is the advantage of having cells connected in parallel combination?
    I wrote that By connecting the cells in parallel combination the total current in the circut is shared by all of the cells as a result the cells last longer. Is it correct?
    I also need to know other advantages and disadvantages of connecting cells in parallel.
    Its a bit urgent cuz I wont be using my net for the next 4 days. I wont be able to sleep if i dun find out if my answer was right or wrong.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the advantage of parallel cells is that there is a greater capasity to provide current (ie with the same load, it runs longer)

4. Jun 10, 2005 #3
    if you use cells in parellel combination, 2nd cell will take part only after 1st cell is dead. So you can provide a constant emf to the circuit without bothering the life time of a single cell. This property is very much useful in practical cases

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?