Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Exam question

1. Jun 10, 2005 #1
    Well yesterday it was my physics paper(o'levels) . There was a question there which asked what is the advantage of having cells connected in parallel combination?
    I wrote that By connecting the cells in parallel combination the total current in the circut is shared by all of the cells as a result the cells last longer. Is it correct?
    I also need to know other advantages and disadvantages of connecting cells in parallel.
    Its a bit urgent cuz I wont be using my net for the next 4 days. I wont be able to sleep if i dun find out if my answer was right or wrong.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the advantage of parallel cells is that there is a greater capasity to provide current (ie with the same load, it runs longer)

4. Jun 10, 2005 #3
    if you use cells in parellel combination, 2nd cell will take part only after 1st cell is dead. So you can provide a constant emf to the circuit without bothering the life time of a single cell. This property is very much useful in practical cases

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook