• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Exam question

Well yesterday it was my physics paper(o'levels) . There was a question there which asked what is the advantage of having cells connected in parallel combination?
I wrote that By connecting the cells in parallel combination the total current in the circut is shared by all of the cells as a result the cells last longer. Is it correct?
I also need to know other advantages and disadvantages of connecting cells in parallel.
Its a bit urgent cuz I wont be using my net for the next 4 days. I wont be able to sleep if i dun find out if my answer was right or wrong.
Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

Last edited:

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, the advantage of parallel cells is that there is a greater capasity to provide current (ie with the same load, it runs longer)

if you use cells in parellel combination, 2nd cell will take part only after 1st cell is dead. So you can provide a constant emf to the circuit without bothering the life time of a single cell. This property is very much useful in practical cases