Why is the expectation value of the commutator not zero in method 1?

• Thread starter alizeid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Value
In summary: No it isn’t. In fact, the expectation of the commutator must be zero for the given state! Anything else would violate the uncertainty relation.
alizeid
Poster has been reminded (again!) to use the Template when starting schoolwork threads.
I'm trying to extract the expected value of a |+45> polarized photon in the HV- base. I do it in two ways, one is correct and the other I get wrong answer. What am I doing wrong in the first method that is wrong?

method 1

ali2.jpg

method 2
ali1.jpg

thanks in advance

Attachments

• ali2.jpg
    ali2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 606
  • ali1.jpg
    ali1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 597
Physics news on Phys.org
You computed the expectation value of different operators. Where did the minus sign come from in your second method?

Also, please type out your expressions instead of attaching them as images.

Orodruin said:
You computed the expectation value of different operators. Where did the minus sign come from in your second method?

Also, please type out your expressions instead of attaching them as images.
why are they different operators? according to the book, they are the same

Then you either copied the book wrong or the book is wrong.

alizeid said:
why are they different operators? according to the book, they are the same
The real problem is

2.PNG

I get the expectation value of the commutator to zero, even for operator | 45>. This can not be correct. I can not solve this problem, can you help me?

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 235
The problem formulation is of little use unless you define the ##|45\rangle## basis in terms of the HV one and define what is meant by ##\mathcal P_{HV}##. Since you have not told us what textbook you are using and we most likely will not have direct access to it, this is crucial information.
alizeid said:
even for operator | 45>
##|45\rangle## is a state, not an operator.

Orodruin said:
The problem formulation is of little use unless you define the ##|45\rangle## basis in terms of the HV one and define what is meant by ##\mathcal P_{HV}##. Since you have not told us what textbook you are using and we most likely will not have direct access to it, this is crucial information.

##|45\rangle## is a state, not an operator.

5.PNG

4.PNG

Attachments

• 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 229
So what is the problem?

Orodruin said:
So what is the problem?

The expectation value of the commutator should NOT be zero. the commutator do not commut therefore the answer is wrong

alizeid said:
The expectation value of the commutator should NOT be zero. the commutator do not commut therefore the answer is wrong
No it isn’t. In fact, the expectation of the commutator must be zero for the given state! Anything else would violate the uncertainty relation.

Related to Why is the expectation value of the commutator not zero in method 1?

1. What is an exception value in QM?

An exception value in QM, also known as an outlier, is a data point that is significantly different from the rest of the data set. It can be caused by measurement error, experimental error, or a true deviation from the expected pattern.

2. How is an exception value identified in QM?

There are several methods for identifying an exception value in QM, including graphical analysis, statistical tests such as the Grubbs' test or Dixon's Q test, and using judgment based on expert knowledge of the system being studied.

3. What impact does an exception value have on the results of a QM study?

An exception value can significantly affect the results of a QM study by skewing the data and potentially leading to incorrect conclusions. It is important to properly identify and address exception values in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

4. How can exception values be handled in QM?

There are a few ways to handle exception values in QM, depending on the specific situation. One approach is to exclude the outlier from the data set and reanalyze the data. Another option is to transform the data using a mathematical function, such as taking the logarithm, to reduce the impact of the outlier. Alternatively, the outlier can be kept in the data set, but its effect can be minimized by using robust statistical methods.

5. Can exception values be avoided in QM?

In some cases, it is possible to avoid exception values in QM by carefully designing the experiment and controlling for potential sources of error. However, in many cases, exception values are inevitable and should be appropriately addressed in the data analysis process.