Exercise about meiosis and mitosis

• Thread starter NicolasL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary: The final answer is 256 strands.In summary, after a cell with 16 chromosomes undergoes meiosis and one of the resulting cells is fertilized, the zygote undergoes mitosis three times resulting in a total of 256 DNA strands, taking into account that each DNA molecule has two strands.
NicolasL

Homework Statement

A cell with 16 chromosomes undergoes meiosis. One of the then formed cells (at the end of meiosis 2) gets fertilized by an unknown gamete. The zygote formed from this fertilization undergoes mitosis 3 times. How much DNA-strands will there be at the end, only taking into account the fertilized cell (so not the three other cells formed in meiosis) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The cell with 16 chromosomes undergoes meiosis, so there are 4 cells with 8 chromosomes in the end.
2. One of them is fertilized by an unknown gamete, so nowe have 16 chromosomes again.
3. The formed zygote undergoes mitosis 3 times, meaning at the end there will be 2^3 cells with 16 chromosomes each.
My answer: in the end there will be 8x16 or 128 dna strands.
This seemed pretty easy to me, almost too easy, so I would like to know if I did it right. Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nicolas:

I am not an expert, but since you have not attracted any responses yet, I thought I would offer my encouragement.

Your analysis seems right on to me.

Regards,
Buzz

NicolasL said:

Homework Statement

A cell with 16 chromosomes undergoes meiosis. One of the then formed cells (at the end of meiosis 2) gets fertilized by an unknown gamete. The zygote formed from this fertilization undergoes mitosis 3 times. How much DNA-strands will there be at the end, only taking into account the fertilized cell (so not the three other cells formed in meiosis) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The cell with 16 chromosomes undergoes meiosis, so there are 4 cells with 8 chromosomes in the end.
2. One of them is fertilized by an unknown gamete, so nowe have 16 chromosomes again.
3. The formed zygote undergoes mitosis 3 times, meaning at the end there will be 2^3 cells with 16 chromosomes each.
My answer: in the end there will be 8x16 or 128 dna strands.
This seemed pretty easy to me, almost too easy, so I would like to know if I did it right. Thanks !

I hope this is not too late, answering after two months, because I just joined this Forum.

The question you asked is how STRANDS of DNA there are. You must be careful here. A DNA molecule has two strands (because it is a double helix, remember?). This means that there should be 2 x 8 x 16 strands of DNA. Your answer says 128 (8 x 16), but that is the number of DNA molecules, but because each molecule has TWO strands, then the answer should be 2 x 128.

1. What is the purpose of meiosis and mitosis?

Meiosis is the process of cell division that produces gametes, or sex cells. This is necessary for sexual reproduction and ensures genetic diversity in offspring. Mitosis, on the other hand, is the process of cell division that produces two identical daughter cells for growth and repair of tissues.

2. What are the main differences between meiosis and mitosis?

The main difference is that meiosis involves two rounds of cell division, resulting in four genetically unique daughter cells, while mitosis involves one round of cell division, resulting in two genetically identical daughter cells. Meiosis also involves the exchange of genetic material between homologous chromosomes, while mitosis does not.

3. How does meiosis contribute to genetic diversity?

During meiosis, homologous chromosomes pair up and exchange genetic material through a process called crossing over. This results in new combinations of genes and contributes to genetic diversity in offspring. Additionally, the random assortment of chromosomes during meiosis also contributes to genetic diversity.

4. What happens if there is an error in meiosis or mitosis?

If there is an error in meiosis, it can result in genetic disorders or birth defects in offspring. In mitosis, errors can lead to mutations and potentially cancerous growths. However, both processes have built-in mechanisms to detect and correct errors, reducing the likelihood of these issues occurring.

5. How do environmental factors affect meiosis and mitosis?

Environmental factors such as exposure to radiation or toxins can increase the likelihood of errors occurring during meiosis or mitosis. This can lead to genetic mutations and potential health issues. Proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle can also play a role in ensuring these processes occur correctly.