Existence of Limit with Integrals.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as a approaches infinity of the integral from 0 to b of the square root of x times the quantity 1 plus cosine of ax. The argument given for the existence of the limit is based on finding a bound for the oscillation of (1+cos(ax)). However, the speaker argues that since cosine of ax can take on values of 1 and -1 at specific intervals, the limit does not exist. Another person suggests using the squeeze theorem, but the speaker remains skeptical, citing numerical values that suggest the limit is far from 0.
Bacle
Hi, I saw a proof/argument done today that I think was wrong:

It is finding the limit as a->oo of the integral from 0 to b<oo:

Int_(0..b) Sqr[x(1 +cos(ax))]dx , where Sqr is the square root

Now, the argument given was that one could find a bound for the oscillation

of (1+cos(ax)).

The problem I have is that, no matter what the trick may be, cos(ax) will take

values of 1 , and of -1 (at 2kPi and 2(k+1)Pi respectively; k an integer), so that

the value of the limit will go from:

i) 0 , when cos(ax)=-1 , to:

ii) Int_
(0..b) Sqr[2x]dx =(Sqr2)x^(-1/2), which is an improper integral at x=0, but does not

go to zero.

So the limit does _not_ exist, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The limits does exits. It's still just the limit of a (bounded) Riemann sum. First write it clearly what we're talking about:

[tex]\lim_{a\to\infty} \int_0^b \sqrt{x(1+\cos(ax))}dx,\quad b<\infty[/tex]

Since b is finite and:

[tex]0\leq|1+\cos(ax)|\leq 2[/tex]

then cannot we say:

[tex]0\leq \left|\int_0^b \sqrt{x(1+\cos(ax))}dx\right|\leq \int_0^b \sqrt{2x}dx[/tex]

and therefore:

[tex]0\leq \lim_{a\to\infty} \int_0^b \sqrt{x(1+\cos(ax))}dx\leq \int_0^b \sqrt{2x}dx[/tex]

Well, yes, but I imagine the limit would exist if we can squeeze it from the right into
being 0, right? If we could, e.g., only say that the limit is betwwm 0 and 3, can we
then say the limit exists?

I actually came up with numerical values near 80,000 for b near 2000; seems way too

far from 0.

1. What is the definition of a limit in terms of integrals?

The limit of a function with respect to a variable x is the value that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to a particular value. In terms of integrals, the limit is the value of the integral as the upper and lower limits of integration approach a particular value.

2. How is the existence of a limit in integrals related to continuity?

The existence of a limit in integrals is closely related to the continuity of a function. A function is considered continuous at a particular point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. Similarly, the existence of a limit in integrals indicates that the function is continuous over the interval of integration.

3. Can the existence of a limit in integrals be proven using the definition of a limit?

Yes, the existence of a limit in integrals can be proven using the definition of a limit. The definition of a limit states that the limit of a function exists if the values of the function approach a particular value as the input values approach a particular value. In the case of integrals, this can be shown by using the definition of the Riemann integral and evaluating the limit as the partition of the interval approaches zero.

4. What are some common techniques used to evaluate limits in integrals?

Some common techniques used to evaluate limits in integrals include the substitution method, the L'Hopital's rule, and the comparison test. The substitution method involves substituting a new variable for the variable of integration and evaluating the limit as the new variable approaches a particular value. L'Hopital's rule can be used when the integral involves indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. The comparison test compares the given integral to a known integral with a known limit.

5. Can the existence of a limit in integrals be proved without using the definition of a limit?

Yes, the existence of a limit in integrals can be proved without using the definition of a limit. Some common methods include the squeeze theorem, the mean value theorem for integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These methods use fundamental properties of integrals and do not require the direct use of the limit definition.